cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VxSS - available_media.cmd produces header but no content

14ALL
Level 4

Recently installed Authentication & Authorization Svcs for NetBackup 6.5.2.  Can give remote console access to Operations.  However, when I run command "available_media.cmd", I get header information, but no media info.  If I set VxSS to disabled and rerun command, I get my media report fully populated with data. 

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\goodies>available_media.cmd
media   media   robot   robot   robot   side/   ret    size     status
 ID     type    type      #     slot    face    level  KBytes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

All that script does is run a bunch of other NetBackup commands, so you need to be authorized to run 'em.  When you enable VxSS, you have to look "OK" to VxSS.

I believe you need to successfully execute a `bpnbat -login` but my memory is pretty fuzzy on the 6.5.2 implementation of VxSS.

After it succeeds (I will be optomistic that I have given the correct advice here wink), use `bpnbat -whoami` to learn more about your credential.

bpnbat should be in the "bin" directory.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CRZ
Level 6

All that script does is run a bunch of other NetBackup commands, so you need to be authorized to run 'em.  When you enable VxSS, you have to look "OK" to VxSS.

I believe you need to successfully execute a `bpnbat -login` but my memory is pretty fuzzy on the 6.5.2 implementation of VxSS.

After it succeeds (I will be optomistic that I have given the correct advice here wink), use `bpnbat -whoami` to learn more about your credential.

bpnbat should be in the "bin" directory.

Good luck!

14ALL
Level 4

Thanks Chris.  I just tried doing the "bpnbat -login".  This prompted me for the authentication broker, port number, authentication type, domain, login name and password.  Once completed, I did "cd" to "goodies" dir and ran "available_media.cmd".  The report populated as expected.

Do you know if these responses can be scripted?  I have a script that runs the "available_media.cmd" and emails out the report.  Since implementing VxSS, I am now doing this manually.

I'll do some checking myself and will post here if I find anything.

Thanks!

CRZ
Level 6

I want to say once you have a valid credential you can go ahead and run your script out of the authorized account without HAVING to go through login again...so long as your credential hasn't expired.  `bpnbat -whoami` should list "Expiry Date" amongst its other info and give you some indication on how long things should work.

If it isn't long enough, there are instructions on stretching out this expiry date as well, although I can't remember if they're in the manual or a TechNote or both.  (Let me know if you can't find it and I'll look a little harder :) )

14ALL
Level 4

Hi Chris,

The default logon time is 24 hours.  I found an article allowing this window to be extended to a month, but that was for Unix. 

I also came across Article ID: TECH38731 "How to use the bpnbat command with an answer file for VERITAS Security Services login".

Following these instructions, I modified my script that runs "available_media.cmd" and emails the resulting report with the following:

bpnbat -login -info vxssinfo.txt

I then run "available_media" > TapeReport.doc

This resolved the issue of blank media reports following implementation of Veritas Authentication and Authorization Services. 

Thanks for your assistance! 8D