cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIndows Clients Installation Need Reboot ?

Liew_WK
Level 4
Hi All,
Base on experience I never reboot client for any installation but installation guide claim it is require. Any hint or experience to share ?

Liewwk
5 REPLIES 5

ray_solomon
Level 3
For production our Win admins won't reboot after an upgrade/install or a removal/reinstall unless a problem is encountered, which is rarely.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Guide does not say that reboot is required. It says  -

9. On the System Validation Complete screen, click Finish.

Note You may need to reboot your PC or the remote systems for the changes to take effect.

Bottom line, you don't need to reboot your client after NetBackup client install. I never had to neither for Windows nor for Solaris/Linux.

andersom68
Not applicable
I disagree that a windows client agent doesn't need a reboot.

1)  If prior to a reboot, another application is installed it will say that there is a pending installation (netbackup client) and the netbackup client will be uninstalled.  This has happened to us many times in our environment.

2)  I believe that you need to reboot in order for the open files to be backed up if you are using vsp.

my 2 cents. 

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
Yes, the VSP.SYS device driver requires a reboot to replace.  So, if you rely on VSP for backups, and you want to make sure the latest version is being used, then you need to reboot.  (The previous version will continue to be used until the reboot.)

That said, when I do a client MP upgrade, I do not force a reboot.  I wait until our monthly OS patch deployment, and the servers get rebooted then.

DavidParker
Level 6
Best Practice for installing software on Windows:

1.  Reboot
2.  Install software
3.  Reboot

This ensures that nobody left a partially completed install lurking for you that could possibly cause problems.

With Windows, when in doubt, reboot.  I know it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary, but in my experience with Windows, it's highly recommended to take the time and do the reboots.  Look at it this way: if something goes haywire and the system explodes, you'll spend much more time fixing it then you would have if you'd just rebooted it a couple times.

$0.02