cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to backup a SAP+HPUX using Off-Host backup?

Symontec
Level 5
Hi People and Gurus...

Before to start I want to wish to all of you a happy 2010.

We have an HPUX Master Server 6.0 in a big platform. We have some performance problems related to a HPUX San Media Server running a SAP Database and being back up using the NBU For SAP Agent. We are wondering what is the best way to take the backup off-host, and we would like to hear experiences and suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
SAF
7 REPLIES 7

Sergey_Ch_
Level 2
Hello,
we are also running a HPUX SAP backups. In our environment a master server
is doing a LAN backup of 2 SAP boxes (dev and prod).
From the NBU Master perspective:
 - for each box there are a separate sets of policies
 - a set of policies for the DB hot backup (each DB has a separate policy)
 - a policy for an archive logs.
 - in each policy there are:
  •  daily and weekend schedules with a Type of Backup "Automatic Full backup" with a time frame opened for night hours  (daily and weekly backup media sets are using different retention policy)
  • a special schedule named "default_application_schedule" with a Type of Backup "Application Backup" with a time frame opened 24x7

From the SAP box perspective:
 - a backup script refers to the "default_application_schedule" and triggers the backup once needed (the DB placed in the backup mode before and returning to the normal state afterwards).

Once the time frame of the daily / weekend schedule is opened - a respective backup job starts, then it triggers a script on the SAP box, so the "default_application_schedule" backup job is also started.

This is a general explanation, I am specializing on the NB and not much of a SAP expert, so I hope the explanation was clear enough. Let me know if you need some clarification.

Regards.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
All supported methods work well. It really depends on the technologies already in use in your envronment. If you are using raid arrays with hardware snapshot capabilities, you might want to investigate that route. If you are using Storage Foundation for volume management and may want your mirror/snap volume on different  vendor array, you can have a look at Storage Foundation FlashSnap option. Whichever route you take, you will need a second full-size volume for each production volume to create mirror/snap volumes. Hardware snapshot utilities normally require additional licensing, as well as Storage Foundation needing a FlashSnap license. You will also have to bear in mind that the same snap utilities (h/w or SF) will have to be installed on the Media server that will perform the offhost backup.
Start by having a look at the Snapshot Client matrix to see what is supported for your O/S and database agent.

We have customers using the following methods:
HP EVA hardware snapshots with Oracle database on Solaris
EMC Symmetrix with Timefinder and Oracle database on HP-UX
Storage Foundation Flashsnap with SQL database on Windows
Will implement this shortly: IBM disk with IBM_StorageManager_FlashCopy and SAP for Oracle on AIX

Hope this info helps!

Symontec
Level 5
Hi Sergey,

It is the same here, but sending the data directly to the VTL Through the SAN (using SAN Media Server). But we are loking for a way with less impact in the client side and make the backup frame smaller because we have 6.5TB in a 16 hour average window, so we are trying to figure out if snapshot methods provide a better performance.

Sorry if I dont explain it very well, but I'm not english speaking ;)

Thanks a lot for your time.
SAF

Symontec
Level 5
Thanks Marianne.

We actually have an EMC DMX 4500. I'm going to look for timefinder to see is it the way. We dont have SF here, so I will read about the solutions and the best way to invest on it.

I have one more question, in whatever method I choose, is a MUST to have SF on the production server? Or may I keep HP Volume manager?

Regards.
SAF

Marianne
Level 6
I just had a look at the Snapshot Client matrix  - seems your options wrt HP-UX and SAP agent are VERY limited - in fact all I can find is SF FlashSnap... (see page 6)
Oracle agent with Timefinder is supported, but only on VxVM (SF) volumes. We've attempted this some time ago using LVM volumes, but the process failed. We could see in the bpfis log on the production server that the LVM device names were not recognised. We had to abort the attempt...

Symontec
Level 5
Thanks Again Marianne,

I was checking the matrix and seems that none of the options fit to us because we have NBU 6.0 in this platform and the SF FlashSnap options is supported from 6.5.4.

Regards,
SAF

Marianne
Level 6
Let this be your motivation to upgrade NBU!