cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which are there to backup a client with virtual IPs each related to a database?

List_Man
Level 4
Hello List,

In our environment we have 2 db servers with various databases, say server1 and server2. They are the backup of each other in case hardware fails and, in that case, the databases that run on one of the nodes will switch over to the node that remained well.

The databases are Informix and Oracle. For either database there is a virtual or floating IP that will go with the database instance to the node where it is running. Assume the floating IP's are serverinfx the Informix instance and serverorcl for the Oracle instance.

How do we configure the netbackup client to go the database node indicated by the virtual IP? It may be that 1 node has both the virtual IP's. We work with Solaris.

In the past we had to set the REQUIRED_INTERFACE=<virt ip> in the bp.conf to not run into problems with virtual and physical IP on the client that may respond to the netbackup server. But that was with only 1 virtual IP not 2 (or more).

Thanks, Enrique Gonzalez
1 REPLY 1

zippy
Level 6
Are you intiating the backup from the Client or the Master?

For me I run it from the master to the "floating hostname", through Tivoli Workload Scheduler (like cron), I only do it this way because I use SNAP's, put the database in hot backup mode, snap it, mount it on the master, back it up.

I have however inthe past configured the backups like RMAN to use the floating IP, if I recall you have to add a line in the bp.conf file of each node.

I have some scripts if your interested.

But here is a snip of the part need to backup the floating node IP

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup \
     -s $SCHEDULE \
     -p $POL \
     -h $HOST    \
     -S $HOST    \
     -i          \
     -w
RC=$?
echo $RC
    if [ $RC -ne 0 ]
      then
        /usr/bin/mailx -s "${DB} Oracle hotbackup failed  on $HOST" ora_hot  < /dev/null
fi

JD