Good morning!

Here is what I am looking to do:

1. Exclude everything on a windows host
  2. Include the C:\ drive and E:\backup folder
  3. Also get the system state/shadow copy

Here is what I have done:

exclude:  ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

include:   C:\, E:\backup

...but then I started thinking... if I do it this way, will I still get the system state/shadow copy? Or, because of the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, will it be excluded?

I've got a while before this runs, so just wanted to ask first...

Thanks in advance!

(Running Netbackup 7.1.0.3 currently... yes, I know we need to upgrade...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Spitman,

i have never got a situation to keep the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in exclude list and keep the required once in include list... since i belive its not a best practice.

exclude and include list does not have the direct visiblity in the policy configuration and over the period of time it will become complex to answer the question " why this file is not being backup" by the user.

if you want you can try with the idea that you have.. but as suggested its 100% good idea to go with the specific policy.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla

why dont you add backup selection as 

C:\ 

E:\backup

Shadow Copy Components:\ 

System State:\*

when you only what to take the backup of those... rest everyghing will not be consider for backup as they are not specified in backup selection

spitman
Level 5

...because I have it in a policy with a group of other hosts, and I don't want to put it into its own policy...

Thank you for the thought, though :)

Will_Restore
Level 6

I agree with Nagalla.  Forget the Exclude. 

Policy should be based on backup requirements (what/when/how).  If this client has different requirement then it should be in a different policy.

spitman
Level 5

All I'm really trying to find out if setting exclude to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES means that system state will be excluded as well.  Thanks...

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

100% agree with Nagalla and wr

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Totally agree with Nagalla and wr. Create a new policy.

RamNagalla

Spitman,

i have never got a situation to keep the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in exclude list and keep the required once in include list... since i belive its not a best practice.

exclude and include list does not have the direct visiblity in the policy configuration and over the period of time it will become complex to answer the question " why this file is not being backup" by the user.

if you want you can try with the idea that you have.. but as suggested its 100% good idea to go with the specific policy.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Altho' I'm inclined to go along with the other suggestions of a separate policy, I'll bite!

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES: I have never heard of excluding this directive & in all honesty don't even know if it's actually possible, but ....

Is the backup selection for the policy ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES? What other drives does this client have?

So ......

Requirement: backup C:\, E:\backup plus SSC/SS

Backup selection: ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

Exclude: E:\                (plus any other drives altho' NOT C:\)

Include E:\backup