cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows java gui suddenly stopped bringing up login promp

mb_mnd
Level 3

I have a Solaris master/media server and a windows management client that runs the Netback 6 java gui

For years I have been logging in to the windows box, running the java shortcut and a java box pops up and within a few moments I get a second window with a login prompt where I login with the solaris master/media server root credentials

What has happened is that suddenly and without any change occuring that was puposeful when launching the java gui app the java box pops up, but the prompt never follows

The only logs on the windows box show:

java version "1.4.0_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0_03-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0_03-b04, mixed mode)

I've tried manually setting file.encoding in the java command line but nothing made any difference

I tried bypassing inetd and running bpjava standalone on the solaris machine, but didnt matter. bpjava is listening and working fine with inetd. I can even telnet to the port on the solaris machine from the windows machine

Even if I snoop on solaris for any traffic coming from the windows machine when launching java gui app literally nothing gets to solaris

Totally baffled on what has gone wrong. It seem like its a problem ith the windows/java gui app, but there have been no changes whatsoever on this windows machine for years. All it does is run this java gui app for netbackup. Its netbackup 6.x. master/media server is Solaris 9

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Apologies for not respnding sooner, but you are going to find it difficult to get assistance for NBU 6 and Solaris 9.

All of the above ran out of support many years ago.... 

If you are using the Windows Java Console, all I can suggest is to reinstall the Java GUI on your Windows system.

manatee
Level 6

that's why i hate java.

what you can do is make sure your computer where you ran the management console is still listed in the master server's bp.conf file as

SERVER = <computer name>

if it's still there, try first low-level troubleshooting. ping, firewalls, and the likes.

otherwise, upgrade to 7.7.x to get further assistance.

Could it be you're not seeing the pop-up because it's hidden behind the main window? Try clicking the desktop icon to hide all the application windows, then click your NetBackup remote console icon to bring it up. With most applications I find that this brings pop-ups to the front.

If you are logged onto the Windows system with an app such as mstsc, you should always use the /console option. Otherwise you may not see application pop-ups, and your application (not just NetBackup) can appear to hang while it's waiting for input from you.

[I've been here 10 years, and NetBackup 6.0 is before my time. There were huge improvements made to the Java GUI in NetBackup 7.7.]

Have you looked for logs in NetBackup\logs\user_ops\nbjlogs? On my 8.1 system, the log has a lot more (65 lines) than you posted from your test.