cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup selections not updating

altmiket
Level 4
hey guys,

i've got netbackup 6.5 running on solaris, and a number of NDMP policies in place.

i update the backup selections for each policy nightly, with changes, as we are adding/removing/moving many volumes per day.

it appears as if netbackup is not seeing the changes we are making to the 'includes' file, which controls the backup selections.

netbackup is caching the contents of this file, and it seems like it randomly figures out that there are changes from time to time (over multiple days)

is there a way to (via script) tell netbackup to re-read this file every time a backup is invoked?  all of the changes to the includes file are happening via a script run out of cron, and with the number of volumes i am backing up, using the GUI to update the backup selections is not feasible.  i need netbackup to re-read this file on it's own, or trigger it via script somehow.

any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
You can try running:
bprdreq -rereadconfig
Serveral times. It's not guarenteed to work but I had a script that ran it about 50 times and it worked 99% of the time. It probably doesn't need 50, but it certainly needs more than 10.

altmiket
Level 4
thanks for the info - i will give this a go and report back as to how it works out.

thanks!

altmiket
Level 4

running 'bprdreq -rereadconfig' didn't work.  i set up a cron to run that 20 times in a row, no dice.

i ended up writing a small script to add/remove a dummy path to each policy, about 10 minutes before backups kick off, and this appears to force netbackup to refresh it's policy selection contents.

in case anyone else needs it, here it is:

Code:
#!/bin/bash. /.bash_profilelogger trying to force policy reloadpols=/usr/openv/netbackup/db/classfor pol in `ls $pols`do        echo $pol        bpplinclude $pol -M ndmpmaster -add /foo        bpplinclude $pol -M ndmpmaster -delete /foodone

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
If the volumes changes that much I will say to dump the folders list to a file, then use that file with bpbackup with the -f option which includes the file list, I think this can work.

regards