cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Tape drives - IBM ULTRIUM TD4

Ryan_2
Level 3
Hi,
we have Win. 2003 Ent. server acting as media server. try to add Virtual tape drives from EMC emulating IBM ULTRIUM TD4 drives. the server is able to see the physical tape drives but not the virtual tape drives in Netbackup 6.0 MP4. The interesting thing is the device manager is able to see all the virtual tape drives & the medium changer. The virtual & physical tape drives are communicated through QLogic 2460. SANsurfer is also able to see the physical & virtual drives. but when i run the scan command, its displaying only the physical drives not the virtuals.

the DR server has the same environment, which is able to see the physical & virtual tape drives through netbackup. The only difference between the production & DR server - Production is in MSCS & the DR is standalone, which i dont think would be the issue here.

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions.
6 REPLIES 6

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Ryan,

We too use an EMC CDL (DL710).  We had to use specific IBM drivers (LTO3) and do the install via a DOS prompt.  In our case, it gave us a choice of using "exctape" (Tivoli) and "magtape".  Select "magtape".

Ryan_2
Level 3
Hi-Thank you... I sensed that it doesnt go good with LTO4, but can you share the link for IBM drivers that you used.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

One issue can be the HBA drivers, I know the Solaris or Windows drivers for any Emulex HBA has some issues, try upgrading the firmware and drivers of your HBA's and see if that helps and ensure tpautoconf -t shows the drives.

Regards

Ryan_2
Level 3
Thank You...i tried this driver even before posting this...but it didnt work either

as I said everything was ok in dev. mgr....but VERITAS scan couldnt find the virtual drives.

but i did find the soln.

i applied the hotfix which worked. - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941140

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Ryan,

Thanks for the information.  The version we are running is IBMTape.x86_6138.  Did Microsoft say if this hotfix was going to be released as a general update anytime soon?