cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backupexec 9.1

Stumpr2
Level 6
This is a BackupExec question concerning accessing BackupExec images.

I have an agency that has an active/active cluster which uses BackupExec and wants to become a SAN media server in NetBackup. They also want to be able to restore from data written in BE from the last 30 days. Keep in mind that I would of course do a full backup using NetBackup the very first day it is migrated which should be able to honor most restore requests from that day and forward. However, if I need to do a restore from a couple of weeks previous of a BE image which would be better? Please take into account that the BE server has a standalone LTO-1 tapedrive and there are no such tapedrives in the NetBackup environment.

1. Install NetBackup keeping BE installed but only activate the BE service when a BE restore is required. (is it possible to have both installed but only use BE for restores of BE images)
2. uninstall BE and rely on NetBackup using the BackupExec import feature of Netbackup
3. another option.My favorite color is green
Bob Stump
9 REPLIES 9

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Bob ,

We will be moving this thread to the Netbackup pool as they wuld be able to assist you better in this scenario.

Stumpr2
Level 6
thanks. Is there someone in Netbackup land that has input for this post?My favorite color is green
Bob Stump

Stumpr2
Level 6
This post still has points available.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Thank you Rucha for correctly moving this BackupExec post to the NetBackup forum

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
If you can build up a second box for the new media server, then decomission the old server after 30 days.
If you have to use the same box I think #2 is the best option. I do not think you can install both on the same box but then again I have not tried. The potential for conflict with your drives seems a bit scary to me.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Bob

well netbackup can read from Backup exec images but to be on the sky with a parachute on, I would suggest keep the backupexec installation as well as the netbackup installation. As backup exec already has the standalone drive configured you can very well do the restores and the services shall not be hampering each others functioning.

The catch here is the retention of the data in backup exec is dependent on the media set which is like a volume pool compared to netbackup. I hope this is of some help bob.

Warmest Regards
Ankur Kumar

Stumpr2
Level 6
Sorry, but there are no more points to give away. However, please feel free to give any input you may have regarding the subject of this post.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi Bob,

If I'm in that situation, that's what I believe I would do:
- since the BE client is a active/active cluster, I'll assume it is of some level of mission critical
- I would not be too bold to try having BE and NBU co-exist (for the sake of server stability and backup integrity)
- before un-install BE and install NBU, I'll confirm with a sample import of the BE image on NBU
- if everything looks promising then I would install NBU on the cluster and start afresh
- 30 days is not too long but remember to set the correct expectation on the end-user for restoration of BE image.
- if resource is there, will consider doing proactive import, starting from the most recent backups.
(the above is a typical risk management especially with my limited knowledge on BE)

By the way, any interesting help (e.g. option 3, etc) post in the BE forum?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Thank you for your input. There was surprisingly no input from the BE forum from other users. I thought that many companies would have gone through a similiar situation. The only response I did get from the BE forum was from a symantec employee stating that the two products can not exist on the same platform.