cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpstart variables not set when backing up a cluster

jrguzmanr
Level 3

Some info first....Netbackup 7.1.0.2, Windows 2008R2 64 bit.

I need to run bpstart when backing up a certain MS cluster.  We create one pol\icy to back up the physical nodes (C: drive and system state), and other policies to backup the virtual instances.  When I back up using the nodes, bpstart works fine, but when I use the policies that use the virtual instances on that same node, the variables stream_number, stream_count and stream_pid don't get set.  Has anybody seen this before? 

Following is my bpstart_notify.bat file:

@echo number %stream_number% >> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpstart.log"
@echo count %stream_count% >> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpstart.log"
@echo pid %stream_pid% >> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpstart.log"
@echo ============================================== >> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpstart.log"

When I back up the physical node everything is as expected.....contents of the bpstart.log:

number 1
count 2
pid 17924
==============================================
number 2
count 2
pid 20604

When I backup the virutal instance, I get:

number 
count 
pid 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK - the reason i asked about streams it that everything in your script is to do with streams so if it is not using "streams" it may not  print anything out.

I have just tested this on a single server (not a cluster) with the same result as you have - no fields  filles in for just a backup job.

I then enabled multiple data streams in the policy attributes tab, even though there is only one selection - this creates a parent job and one "stream" job - so now i have a stream rather than just a job - now i get the correct output in the log file

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is the policy type for the cluster policy? MS-Windows or some Database type backup?

jrguzmanr
Level 3

policy type is MS-Windows

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

are you actually running multipe streams agains the virtual name?

do you have the script setup on both nodes?

have you tried it when it is named bpstart_notify.policyname.bat where policy name is the name of your cluster policy?

jrguzmanr
Level 3

No, at this point in time I am only testing with one virtual instance that only has one drive, hence one stream.

No, I don't have the script on both nodes.  I don't want to do that until I get it working.

I have tried it with bpstart_notify.policyname.bat, actually that's how I had it originally.  but when the variables weren't set, I started to to test with bpstart_notify.bat.  when the variables weren't set there, I then tried with the "physical node" policy, and there the variables get set.

jrguzmanr
Level 3

I openned a case with support and what's their response?  They don't support modified scripts.  Really?  Is this script that complicated?   Does anybody have any ideas on what else I can do?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - the reason i asked about streams it that everything in your script is to do with streams so if it is not using "streams" it may not  print anything out.

I have just tested this on a single server (not a cluster) with the same result as you have - no fields  filles in for just a backup job.

I then enabled multiple data streams in the policy attributes tab, even though there is only one selection - this creates a parent job and one "stream" job - so now i have a stream rather than just a job - now i get the correct output in the log file

Hope this helps

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hi

Have you tried my above advice? Pretty sure it is the Solution to this issue

Let us know