cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

catalogue backup problem

Switcho
Level 4
Hi experts,

Netbackup 6.5.4 is deployed on windows 2008 64bit server with latest updates, i used to see a catalogue backup job that is stuck in the activity monitor, even if i cancel it or if it completed successfully then another job will start in the same day.

that is the ourput of one of the failed jobs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/20/2010 1:08:59 PM - requesting resource 6560L4
5/20/2010 1:08:59 PM - awaiting resource 6560L4 A pending request has been generated for this resource request.
  Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action.,
  Media ID: 6560L4, Barcode: LW6560L4, Density: hcart, Access Mode: Write,
  Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: N/A, Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE,
  Volume Group: ---, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A

5/20/2010 1:09:59 PM - awaiting resource 6560L4 A pending request has been generated for this resource request.
  Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action.,
  Media ID: 6560L4, Barcode: LW6560L4, Density: hcart, Access Mode: Write,
  Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: N/A, Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE,
  Volume Group: ---, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A

5/20/2010 1:10:01 PM - begin Catalog Backup
5/20/2010 1:24:55 PM - Error bpbackupdb(pid=4896) jmcomm_RequestMultipleResources() failed with stat = 150     
5/20/2010 1:24:55 PM - end Catalog Backup; elapsed time: 00:14:54
termination requested by administrator(150)
5/20/2010 1:24:56 PM - Error bpbackupdb(pid=4896) catalog backup to media id 6560L4 FAILED     
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that tape (6560L4) is not located in the pool assigned with the catalogue policy, and it application is marked as Catalog
beside, i cant move that tape to another pool, kindly check the snapshot below:

i need to figure out how can i eliminate repeatitve jobs and errors come with it.

thanks in advance..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It seems that there's a cold catalog backup configured. Cold catalog backup use tapes from NetBackup pool and will not draw from scratch. The tapes configured for cold catalog backups must be in the robot. As you can see, this tape is not in the robot:

Media ID: 6560L4, Barcode: LW6560L4... Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE...  Hence the Pending action.

Right-click on Catalog and select Configure Offline NetBackup Catalog Backup.
Check configuration.
Best if you set cold catalog schedule to NEVER and configure a hot catalog backup.
Configure a normal policy and select type as NBU-Catalog backup. This backup type goes to the CatalogBackup pool and will draw from scratch.

See Admin Guide I  from p.278 onwards.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

It seems that there's a cold catalog backup configured. Cold catalog backup use tapes from NetBackup pool and will not draw from scratch. The tapes configured for cold catalog backups must be in the robot. As you can see, this tape is not in the robot:

Media ID: 6560L4, Barcode: LW6560L4... Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE...  Hence the Pending action.

Right-click on Catalog and select Configure Offline NetBackup Catalog Backup.
Check configuration.
Best if you set cold catalog schedule to NEVER and configure a hot catalog backup.
Configure a normal policy and select type as NBU-Catalog backup. This backup type goes to the CatalogBackup pool and will draw from scratch.

See Admin Guide I  from p.278 onwards.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
volume pool:

Here the Admin Guide is referring to the default volume pools that are created on installation:

"...
NetBackup: Unless otherwise specified in the policy, all backups use media from the NetBackup pool. One exception is the NBU-Catalog policy type (used for online, hot catalog backups) that selects the CatalogBackup volume pool by default. Offline, cold catalog backups use media from the NetBackup volume pool
CatalogBackup: This pool is selected by default for the NBU-Catalog policy type. It is used exclusively for online, hot catalog backups. Online, hot catalogs are directed to a single, dedicated pool to facilitate faster catalog restores.
..."

So what you are seeing if definitely what Marianne has pointed out - Cold Catalog Backup. Altho' still available at 6.5.x it is recommended that you switch to Hot Catalog Backups (unless you are already using these also) as the facility has been withdrawn from 7.x onwards I believe.

'tis the morning of catalog backup queries!
See this post to prevent your Hot Catalog backup from possibly utilising two tapes drives & two volumes per backup:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-use-only-1-tape-catalogue-backup

Switcho
Level 4
BRILLIANT Marianne and Andy
I really appreciate ur great support, i checked the catalog and yes i found that offline backup is configured there.

i choosed that offline catalog start when manually intiated and it successed.
when i try to configure no media to be used then i got that error msg:

i guess that happened coz the tape (6560L4) is not available in the robot and so cannot be deassigned.
the good news that i have that tape stored offsite and i will insert it by tomorow.

one more two things:
1. how can i browse the netbackup guides u linked to me, do they need an authorized account?
2. it will be great if i can got a guide that explain how to configure Media and Master Netbackup Servers :)

many thanks.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If you're happy that this issue has been resolved, mark Mariannes post as the solution as she was on the ball  for this one!

As far as the "Guides" are concerned:

Listing of Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 and 6.5.x Manuals and links to the respective TechNotes

Also, the "searchable" KnowledgeBase

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

could be because that job you initially mentioned is still "active" & believes the media is still "in use"?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294805.htm

which links to:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294806.htm

& then:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/283322.htm

You may also find the following of use - bookmark it along with all the others you come across that could assist in the future (that's what we do!! wink)

This Technote contains a table for NetBackup's Status Codes, with links to potential resolutions for...

Marianne
Level 6
Glad we could help smiley.
The problem  should not be because the tape is not in the robot. It could be due to the fact that there might still be a 'pending request'.
Have a look at this TechNote as well (although the error is different):
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300986.htm

If you still have a problem with deassign of catalog tape, please start a separate thread for that..