cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cold catalog

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Cold Catalog Backup could only run when no other backups were running and EMM database was shutdown for duration of the backup. Entire catalog had to fit onto one tape. Tape was overwritten every time. 

1. Cold backup needs to be run manually when no backup is running?or they run automatically?
  2. EMM database  shutdown automatically or manually when Cold catalog backup runs?
  3. What if all data was not cover up on single tape?
  4. Tape was overwritten every time.  What this means?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It means that only 1 catalog backup is kept, as the previous one is overwritten everytime a new one runs.

martin

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let this one go. Cold Catalog backups are from NetBackup 6.x days and before. Not Supported or recommended in NetBackup 7.

I assume from previous posts you are on NetBAckup 7.x on your master

So not applicable.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Cold catalog backups do not exist at NBU7 and should not really even be used at NBU 6.x.

You are asking about something you cannot use.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

I know .But i am just asking for the knowledge and interview perspective.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you the interviewer or interviewee? Asking the questions or getting asked?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Getting asked.If any body can please help on this topic,

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want advice/help. Then please take this the most direct way possible.

Download the documentation for supported versions of NetBackup. 7.x or greater.

The time you are taking on these forums, use it to read them - NetBackup System Admin Guides Vol I and II. Read those.

You say you want help - we give it and you ignore a lot of it. Just seems a one way street. Or has your forum activity been about this all along - getting a Backup Admin job? 

So if you are hoping to get a job using netbackup, just hope they dont google search and find your post history on these forums. It highlights a lot about your character.

(just saying)

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

I read those.I dint find the solution to above.Thats why asking this .

Martin:Can u please help me in this .

Anonymous
Not applicable

You wouldn't find it in the 7.x Docs. It is in the NetBackup 6.x Documentation. Thats where it is relevant.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I will be suggestiong we put a stop to answering interview questions.  I think the odd one or two questions, if they are 'difficult' is fine, but we get asked hundreas on here , and it is getting silly.  The answers are out there, for the majority of the questions, you just have to look for them.

This would be an invalid interview question - cold catalog backups should not be used.

1. Cold backup needs to be run manually when no backup is running?or they run automatically?
  2. EMM database  shutdown automatically or manually when Cold catalog backup runs?
  3. What if all data was not cover up on single tape?

4. Tape was overwritten every time.  What this means?

1.  Auto or manual I think

2.  EMM auto shutdown

3.  Cold catalog backups cannot span tapes, so you would have a problem

4. See below, cold catalog backup always start to write at the beginning of the tape, so the onlt cold catalog backup available is the last one taken

The offline, cold catalog backup:
Cannot back up the catalog while any job or catalog operation is running.
Cannot span tapes.
Is not tracked like a regular backup. Since online, hot catalog backups are run as jobs via a policy, the online, hot catalog backup job is included in the catalog.
Cannot be duplicated as regular backups and online, hot catalog backups can be duplicated.
Cannot be written to media and given an expiration date.
Cannot be an incremental backup.
Overwrites any data on a tape. This type of catalog backup starts at the beginning of the tape and does not append to existing data on the tape.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Tell your interviewer that NBU 6.x is EOSL. So, any question about 6.x is totally irrelevant.

That would be my answer.

By the way, NIKHIL's questions in the opening post comes from my comment in his other thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/steps-take-online-hot-catalog-backup-71#comment-76290...

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

4. See below, cold catalog backup always start to write at the beginning of the tape, so the onlt cold catalog backup available is the last one taken

What this means?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It means that only 1 catalog backup is kept, as the previous one is overwritten everytime a new one runs.

martin