cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference

Arun_K
Level 6

Media Contents Report
The Media Contents report shows the contents of a volume as read directly from the media header and backup headers. This report lists the backup IDs (not each individual file) that are on a single volume. If a tape has to be mounted, there will be a longer delay before the report appears. 
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
# ./bpmedialist -U -mcontents [-m <media_id>]

Images on Media Report
The Images on Media report lists the contents of the media as recorded in the NetBackup image catalog. You can generate this report for any type of media (including disk) and filter it according to client, media ID, or path. 
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
# ./bpimmedia -U [-client <client_name>] [-mediaid <media_id>]

What is the difference between these two commands?Both are fetching from NBU catalog(emm)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The media contentes reads the info directly from the media header and the backup header. Where do you the think the media /backup headers are. The clue MEDIA header - written on the tape perhaps ? If you actually read the manuales/ man pages or even read the details about the media contents report, or even tested it like I suggested, you would find that NBU actually loads the tape and reads it in the tape drive. The images on media looks at the details in the Image catalog - it says this exactly in the description you posted above . Martin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The first line of each description you have posted tells you if the details are taken from the image catalog, or, from somewhere else .. The details you have posted also tell you what is conatained in each report Here is an idea, run the two repoerts on your system, then you can compare the differencies Martin

Arun_K
Level 6

So in which case,NBU is fetching the info from EMM(CATALOG) ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The media contentes reads the info directly from the media header and the backup header. Where do you the think the media /backup headers are. The clue MEDIA header - written on the tape perhaps ? If you actually read the manuales/ man pages or even read the details about the media contents report, or even tested it like I suggested, you would find that NBU actually loads the tape and reads it in the tape drive. The images on media looks at the details in the Image catalog - it says this exactly in the description you posted above . Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Arun_K
Level 6

Media Contents Report :From media

Images on Media Report:From image catalog.

Thanks Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, correct.

Please please please try these things yourself - you will learn a lot more than asking for the answers.

I got most of my knowledge from playing around ...

Courses are great for the basics, but you only really understand it when you try something and see what it does.

Martin

Possible
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Arun,

When u run bpmedia -mcontents ...there will be job created for the that in Activity monitor..

Have u seen it ??

Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

He never tries to actually test the theory.  If he did, he would never post all these questions....