cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does max out license prevent policies to run

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.5.0.5 on redhat 6.x

if i understand correctly, the NBU license is per client. now i haven't counted the number of clients i have but what i observed is one policy does not run on schedule (used to run daily). i have to run it manually.

does the licensing prevent this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

if you have netbackup server license, netbackup will not allow you to add a client to a policy, if you exceed the clients license.

If you have netbackup enterprise server, netbackup will not stop you from exceeding your license and will continue to work. This is true for all versions up to now (7.5).

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74614

If your backup shedules are frequency based and you run them every day manualy, they will never run automaticaly when they are sheduled.
The eazyest way to fix this is to stop runing them manualy (and lost one day), of reduce the frequency to somthing more than your backup window.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

StefanosM
Level 6

if you have netbackup server license, netbackup will not allow you to add a client to a policy, if you exceed the clients license.

If you have netbackup enterprise server, netbackup will not stop you from exceeding your license and will continue to work. This is true for all versions up to now (7.5).

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74614

If your backup shedules are frequency based and you run them every day manualy, they will never run automaticaly when they are sheduled.
The eazyest way to fix this is to stop runing them manualy (and lost one day), of reduce the frequency to somthing more than your backup window.

manatee
Level 6

i can still add clients.

hmm, yes i'm using frequency based schedules. i'll change to calendar then and see.

Marianne
Level 6

NetBackup does not count. It's an honesty and legal compliance thing.

1 Standard Client license will allow you to backup 100 clients (and more). As long as you have the license key added to the master, it allows you to add as many policies and clients of that type as you like. 
It will NOT stop functioning or disallow more clients.

To count number of clients, you need a good understanding of your environment. For example, a 2-node cluster will normally have 3 client names:
node1
node2
virtual-name
for the above, you need 2 Standard Client licenses.

If a master or media server is also backed up as a client, they should not be counted as clients because the server license includes client functionality.

So, the backup that is not kicking off is because of another reason - not license.

Please start a new discussion for that issue.