cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

end job gracefully

Steven_Geldmach
Level 2
When running a backup job in NetBackup 5.1, is there a way to end a job gracefully ? Rather than use the cancel job command.

I have some backups that have been running a long time and I would like to have the backup job finish backing up the files it is currently backing up and then end gracefully.

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks,

Steven Geldmacher
Washington University School of Medicine
geldmacher_s@kids.wustl.edu
314-362-9480
1 REPLY 1

Stumpr2
Level 6
Yes this is a new feature.
Reply, references admin guide for unix vol I

Cancel Job: Cancels uncompleted jobs that you have selected in the Jobs list. A cancelled checkpointed backup or restore job cannot be resumed from the last checkpoint. If this is desired, use Suspend Job instead.

Suspend Job: Suspends an Active, Queued or Requeued backup or restore job. An administrator may want to suspend a job to free a resource or to run another job, then resume the suspended job when the resource is available. (See Move Restore Job From Incomplete State to Done State
on page 354 and Move Backup Job from Incomplete State to Done State on page 354.)

NOTE: in order to use checkpoint you must enable it.
The Checkpoint Restart Every check box indicates whether NetBackup will take checkpoints during backup jobs based on this policy at the frequency indicated. Taking checkpoints during a backup is beneficial in the event that a backup based on this policy fails. Without Checkpoint Restart enabled, a failed backup based on this policy is restarted from the beginning of the job. By taking checkpoints periodically during the backup, NetBackup can retry a failed backup from the last checkpoint rather than restarting the entire job. The number of times that NetBackup will automatically reattempt a failed backup is configured by the Schedule Backup Attempts property located in the master server Global Attributes host properties. (See Schedule Backup Attempts on page 351.)

To utilize CheckPoint Restart for backups or Checkpoint Restart for restores when backing up or restoring files, either the Standard or MS-Windows-NT policy type must be used. The creation of synthetic backups also requires the use of one of these policy types.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump