cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 2009 and 6

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

hi ,

i have this error (2009  and 6  ) at the same time during start backup operation on sl 3000 physical tape library

Symantic Product Name: Symantec Netbackup

Product Version: 7.0.1

Operating System: HP-UX 11iv3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to troubleshoot at OS level and ensure that drives are visible and usable by the OS.

Please see NBU Device Configuration Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127069 

You also have not answered any of these questions in my previous post:

The amount of drives probably mean that you have a mix of VTL and physical tape drives?
Shared or dedicated drives?

Probably multipathing on physical and single path on virtual?

Which drives are going DOWN - physical or virtual?

You only told us the following about your installation:

Is this the master or media server?

And the 2 media servers prodbar1,2? Are they HP-UX as well?

The instructions that I have given are for Unix media servers.
syslog.log applies to HP-UX media servers only.
If prodbar1,2 is not HP-UX, please tell us which OS and also which media server is having a problem with DOWN drive(s).  You need to concentrate troubleshooting efforts on media server(s) where drives are being DOWN'ed.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Will_Restore
Level 6

NetBackup status code 2009

Message: All compatible drive paths are down but media is available

Explanation: All configured drives that can be used for this job are down.

RecommendedAction: Verify that ltid is running on the required media server,

and the media server is active for tape. Using device monitor, bring up the drive

paths if they are down. If drives are downed again, clean the drives

Marianne
Level 6
Please provide following info: All text in Job Details tab Policy type Backup script output file.

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

hi,

All text in job detail:

(2009)All compatible drive paths are down but media is available

& policy type is  Teradata

---

and i sked the Tera data to check from their site about this error and find that we need to check the Device Monitor in Netbackup, in for drives that are TLD-DOWN. and verify that all drives have a correct PATH and the operating system can see and talk to the drives.

they already checked from operating system side and I found the successful below result .

prodbar1:~ # lsscsi

[0:0:32:0] enclosu DP BACKPLANE 1.07 -

[0:2:0:0] disk DELL PERC 6/i 1.22 /dev/sda

[1:0:0:0] cd/dvd TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633J D150 /dev/sr0

[3:0:0:0] tape HP Ultrium 4-SCSI H45S /dev/st0

[4:0:0:0] tape HP Ultrium 4-SCSI H45S /dev/st1

prodbar1:~ # ssh prodbar2

Password:

Last login: Tue Jun 26 14:29:23 2012 from prodbar1

prodbar2:~ # lsscsi

[0:0:32:0] enclosu DP BACKPLANE 1.07 -

[0:2:0:0] disk DELL PERC 6/i 1.22 /dev/sda

[1:0:0:0] cd/dvd TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633J D150 /dev/sr0

[3:0:0:0] tape HP Ultrium 4-SCSI H45S /dev/st0

[4:0:0:0] tape HP Ultrium 4-SCSI H45S /dev/st1

prodbar2:~ #

------

and i checked Device Monitor in Netbackup, in for drives that are TLD-DOWN and found it is down then i up pathes for the down drives ..  and they are up so how to verify that all drives have a correct PATH and the operating system can see and talk to the drives. from my site to make sure i true  & is there any recommendation for that  thanks

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

also what we mean from  device monitor > drive index = 0

Marianne
Level 6

The client-side backup fails because there is nowhere to backup to - ALL drives are DOWN.

To find out WHY, you need VERBOSE entry in /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf of media server.
If this is a Master/media server, add it to master's vm.conf.
If you have media servers, add it to all of them.
Restart NBU to enable the entry. You will notice that Media Manager now runs with -v option.

All Media Manager actions and errors will be logged in OS /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log.

Ensure bptm folder also exists under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs on all media servers. This will log errors from NBU point of view.

This is the only way to troubleshoot reason for DOWN drives - there are lots and lots of possible reasons for DOWN drives - without knowing WHY it is like 'shooting in the dark'.

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

hi Marianne,

we have the master server is m4

the media server and client in the same time used are prodbar1,2(2media (prodbar1,2)& 2client(prodbar1,2)

so as i understand from you that i will run the command

less /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf        at media server prodbar1 and 2

Restart NBU at all media as:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/netbackup stop   ..  then start

run

less /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

in all media run

>cd /usr/openv/netbackup/logs /ll

please if any step or command is not true notify me ..  thanks very mutch

Marianne
Level 6
You need to edit vm.conf (using vi) and add this on a new line: VERBOSE Followed by NBU restart. After restart, verify MM daemons are running with -v when you run bpps -x. Create bptm folder under logs using mkdir command. Try to UP drives. If they go down again, check syslog.log. If they stay up, run a backup. If any device-type or I/O errors (e.g status 84), check syslog and bptm log.

A_M_Ash_
Level 6
hi , i have the following reply from the side of client that have the problem that the backup is initiated then it comes to fail and give errors number 40 ,6 and 2009 the reply is : Teradata incident Error during backup: From the short-logs file,i see that drive sl3k_aixback_04 was involved . that drive looks fine in the vmoprcmd output .the failure was with mount operation , indicating a library issue .please have the customer engage the people supporting the library. i did see that drive sl3k_aixback_08 was down , but this is not related to the job failure .maybe the third-party support people can invistigate that as well. this was the side of tera data reply from my side i found available tape media i the pool related to the backup also i checked the drive sl3k_aixback_08 it was down in the device monitor i found it DOWN-TLD ... .. and i tried to up the path by right click > up path but nothing happened... so any advice about this case ?? also in device monitor .. we have 137 drives with 202 paths we can found that : drive name ,, and in the control we find (TLD ,, SCAN-TLD ,,Active ,, Down-TLD,, what is the differente between them ??

Marianne
Level 6

and i tried to up the path by right click > up path but nothing happened...

Did you add VERBOSE entry to vm.conf as previously suggested?
Did you confirm that Media Manager processes are running with '-v'?
Have you checked syslog.log for errors?
If you have added VERBOSE and restarted NBU, the reason for DOWN drive(s) will be logged in syslog.log.

Have you tried NetBackup Admin Guide I for explanation of drive status/control?

137 drives with 202 paths does not seem right. You need to confirm physical connectivity between server and devices.

The amount of drives probably mean that you have a mix of VTL and physical tape drives?

If prodbar1,2 is not HP-UX, please tell us which OS and also which media server is having a problem with DOWN drive(s).  You need to concentrate troubleshooting efforts on media server(s) where drives are being DOWN'ed.

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

hi Marianne,

i asked the teradata support (client side) about the

Meaning of "mount operation"they said in their last reply and they said:

The library robot was unable to move a tape from the storage slot to drive sl3k_aixback_04 due to HW failure. If this is not an actual tape library, the command to simulate this operation failed on the device emulating a library. In either case, the problem is with the device configured as a library in Netbackup (most likely an STK SL3000 library).

for this steps :

Did you add VERBOSE entry to vm.conf as previously suggested?
Did you confirm that Media Manager processes are running with '-v'?
Have you checked syslog.log for errors?
If you have added VERBOSE and restarted NBU, the reason for DOWN drive(s) will be logged in syslog.log.

sorry i didnot initiated it yet ,as i started to up some down drives and they are up except one ..  and the backup initiated but at some point it comes to fail and give me error num of 6 and 40 ...so i started to check from the side of resources and backup schedule and script at the side of teradata (client) but not find any new ...  also i will start the steps you mentioned but i think i may need your help with this steps so i will back to you if i find any  difficulty to do it  tomorrow ..  thanks .

A_M_Ash_
Level 6
Hi, i checked the diveces and all libraries and after running the commands tpconfig -l ,tpconfig -d .. and find attached all output of these commands . . you can see that: 1- drive missing path 2-drive disabled (root@aixback) / # tpconfig -l robot 3 drive - 57 hcart 8 UP - sl3k_aixback_08 MISSING_PATH:/dev/rmt55.1:HU1847 (root@aixback) / # tpconfig -d 57 sl3k_aixback_08 hcart TLD(3) DRIVE=8 MISSING_PATH:/dev/rmt55.1:HU184743VUMISSING_PATH:/dev/rmt55.1:HU UP 81 sl3k_m4_11 hcart TLD(3) DRIVE=11 /dev/rmt8.1 DISABLED ,so how to enable this drive and add missing path?

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

Hi,

i need help in my last post ..thnx?

Marianne
Level 6

You need to troubleshoot at OS level and ensure that drives are visible and usable by the OS.

Please see NBU Device Configuration Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127069 

You also have not answered any of these questions in my previous post: