cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hba trafic coomand netbackup 7.6.1 linux red hat

Hernan_Peralta
Level 4

help I need a coomand line for view the traffic hba en linux server Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.0 (Maipo)

[root@srvbackup bin]# lspci | grep -i fibre
08:00.0 Fibre Channel: Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. 425/825/42B/82B 4Gbps/8Gbps PCIe dual port FC HBA (rev 01)
08:00.1 Fibre Channel: Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. 425/825/42B/82B 4Gbps/8Gbps PCIe dual port FC HBA (rev 01)
0b:00.0 Fibre Channel: Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. 425/825/42B/82B 4Gbps/8Gbps PCIe dual port FC HBA (rev 01)
0b:00.1 Fibre Channel: Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. 425/825/42B/82B 4Gbps/8Gbps PCIe dual port FC HBA (rev 01)

I need run backup and view the trafric in hba port.

thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
There are no NetBackup commands to get the info you need.

Best to ask in a Linux forum...

Mike_Gavrilov
Level 6

As I understood you'd like to run a backup and check how it utilizes HBA port. Neither  Linux nor NetBackup has such commands/tools. You need to understand what targets your HBA port works with and analyze your traffic to that targets (Or you can follow RedHat's recommendations https://access.redhat.com/solutions/440743). May be some HBA vendors provide analyzing tools for their HBAs but I don't remenber them. 

P.S. Hope you didn't mean that you'd like to sniff FC traffic  ;)

Marianne
Level 6
On Solaris I can run this command:
iostat -xn 3 10 |grep rmt (where 3 is the interval in seconds and 10 the number of times)

You may want to look on Linux community sites for the equivalent.

Mike_Gavrilov
Level 6

But he still needs to remember which target is available via which HBA-port  and calculate total port utilization. Linux has iostat too :)

Marianne
Level 6

Best to monitor hba traffic from the switch side.

I have seen how a colleage logged into a brocade switch and issued commands to monitor traffic on one or more ports - server hba port and/or device port.

I doubt that there are OS-level commands for this.

If there are OS-level commands, the question will best be answered in a Linux forum.

Mike_Gavrilov
Level 6

Yes, you're absolutly right.   Brocade has Fabric Watch utility and here are no pure OS-level commands neither in Solaris nor in Linux But if they had them it would be useless because admin must be familiar with SAN-topology after port. He should know switches' interconnect (ISL or truncks)bandwith and load and so on. Without whole picture it's just  a numbers like "75% utilization" and you still need to go deeper into the darkness (storage array LUN performance, volume read parameters, OS I/O tuning vales, bus performance and so on and so om ) :) 

Marianne
Level 6

Seems it's just you and me left in this conversation! Smiley Surprised

@Hernan_Peralta has not been back since he posted here.... 

4 fibers change master and the library and the drive no longer fall tanks

Marianne
Level 6
Apologies, but I have no idea what your last post means....