cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with permissions on backups written to disk

lndbrusr
Level 2

Folks,

I have my linux netbackup master/media server backing up to disk.  The disk location is backupserver:/data/backup_images/

currently the backup images and info files get written as   

-rw-------  1 root root        8192 Apr  3 10:04 host1.domain.com_1365008648_C1_HDR.1365008648.img
-rw-------  1 root root         892 Apr  3 10:04 host1.domain.com_1365008648_C1_HDR.1365008648.info

thus owner root has rw and group and everyone have no permissions.

I want to have the files written by netbackup as

-rw-rw-----

so owner and group have rw permissions.  I have tried umask in /etc/profile on the linux master/media server and that did nothing leading me to believe that umask is set somewhere within netbackup's run scripts.

Can someone point me to where in the netbackup run scripts to change umask or tell me another way?

thanks,
lndbrusr
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup create its own file with 0600 permission, and this permission is hard-coded.

NetBackup is dessigned as so since no other users and application should be prevent from touching image files. No trick in NetBackup. You need to sort it by this bandaid method.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Why do you want to do this.

You can't do anything with these files, they are the image files created by NetBackup and should not be touched.  There is no need for the group to have permissions, they are written they way they are because that is how NBU has been designed.  There is no way to adust this within NBU.

It is 100% unsupported to change these, if you suffer an issue due to this (perhapos unlikely but you never know) it may be unfixable.

Martin

lndbrusr
Level 2

Without getting into too much detail, I want a user that is in the group root to be able to rsync these files elsewhere.

So again--any help would be appreciated.

lndbrusr

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I cannot see of what use rsync'ed files will be....

Will_Restore
Level 6

You want something that can be Supported by Symantec; maybe this

http://www.symantec.com/en/aa/netbackup-realtime

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

FYI: NetBackup RealTime was end of life'd at the end of 2012.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Wow, did not know that, perhaps they should update the page.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

No way. Just change permission by chmod command at OS level.

For DR, please consider more smart way like AIR(replication accross domain). Without catalog, you need to spend time to import rsync'ed images.
Of cource, rsync on BasicDisk for normal and catalog backup images is possible option.

> RealTime EOL

Really?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Really!  All versions of NRT were EOSL'd on 12/03/2012.

Notice of Timelines for End of Life, End of Standard Support, and End of Support Life for Veritas NetBackup (tm) RealTime Protection
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH199510

Release Details for NetBackup RealTime
 http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=55525

(Sorry to hijack the thread - carry on)

lndbrusr
Level 2

I can write a script that goes through to chown the files the way I want them and crontab it... 

My issue with that is that it is kind of a bandaid approach.. I am guessing that somewhere in some netbackup run script the umask can be set to what I want.  I'd rather try to solve this problem at its core.

I have tried setting setuid/setgid on the parent directory but that pesky umask command, somewhere in the netbackup run scripts, continues to write the files as rw for owner root only.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As a very serious word of warning.

I've seen rsync setups fail (not due to NBU) and data has been lost.

Martin

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

NetBackup create its own file with 0600 permission, and this permission is hard-coded.

NetBackup is dessigned as so since no other users and application should be prevent from touching image files. No trick in NetBackup. You need to sort it by this bandaid method.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you really really really want to copy the files somewhere else consider using "sudo". With sudo you can give a deadly user permission to perform task that would normal require root privileges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo or do a "man sudo"

That said I really support the use or AIR or SLP to perform such a operation.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, I was thinking of AIR, much better solution and supported.

I do not mean to sound negative, but I get fed up of dealing with what can turn out to be very serious issues due to people trying to change the way NBUY works, and do things they are not meant to do.

M

Will_Restore
Level 6

Thank you.  That seems to be the way now instead of Realtime.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Having the ability to set group rw poses a potential security issue. That is why it is likely designed in this way and is hardcoded.

If you need to do something 'outside the box', then you will need an 'outside the box' method to achieve this!