cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import

noazara
Level 6

You don't, if expired 'normally' it has gonr for good.

Perhaps you take a disk array across to a new server, the fragments are still on the disk in this example and so could be imported.

It is also possible to expire the images but only from the catalog, without actually deleting the backup data (fragments) on the disk.  Again, these could be imported as they haven't actually been deleted.

Martin

@Martin :

1. when they are actually deleted?
  2. if i have a restore.my data is on disk and retention has been over,Can i restore from disk then?How would i know that my data has not been overwritten or fragments have not been deleted?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

nbdelete logs into the admin log, so you could look in there.

It runs as part of the image cleanup, so I'm not sure why you are so concerned about it.  If the image cleanup has run the disk images have been deleted, simple as that.

Martin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Once the image goes past its exxpire time, it is delete from the catalog by bpexpdate.

This runs as part of the NBU cleanup job (every 12 hrs by default)

The cleanup jobs runs multiple commands, bpexpdate is one, and after this run nbdelete -allvolumes, this is the command that actually deletes the fragments from the disk.

As far as I am aware, nbdelete runs straight after bpexpdate, so if the images are not showing in the catalog (bpimagelist command for example) they will have been deleted from the disk.

THe only way to tell for sure, is to look on the disk at OS level, and see if the fragments are there - easy to find as the files contain the backupid.

Martin

noazara
Level 6

Thanks Martin,

Please reply to my below query:

@Martin :

1. when they are actually deleted?
  2. if i have a restore.my data is on disk and retention has been over,Can i restore from disk then?How would i know that my data has not been overwritten or fragments have not been deleted?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I did answer, what part is not clear ?

They are deleted when nbdelete is run, during the image cleanup.

If the retention is over then they will be deleted from disk when the next image cleanup runs.

noazara
Level 6

How can i check if nbdelete has not run or has run?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

nbdelete logs into the admin log, so you could look in there.

It runs as part of the image cleanup, so I'm not sure why you are so concerned about it.  If the image cleanup has run the disk images have been deleted, simple as that.

Martin