cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is netbackup catalog tape library, OS or NBU version dependent?

arsalanali
Level 4
Hello experts, I have catalog backup tape and been asked to restore the catalog on a different media server, with different Os installed, with an updated NBU and with a complete different library attached. So my question is, is it possible to restore this catalog on different environment.? If yes, then kindly guide me through the procedure. Waiting for your kind response. Regards, Arsalan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Forget about trying to recover NBU 5.x catalog on 6.5 server. It won't work.

Simply import the backup tapes on the AIX server.

And then UPGRADE!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Is is possible, but not easy.  We need to know what the installed version of NetBackup is and on what OS it is running, and what versionof NBU and OS you wnat to end up with.

This would have to be a multiple-step process of upgrading NetBackup, then upgrading your OS, then upgrading NetBackup again, and possibly another OS upgrade. You cannot change the name of the master server, so if your naming convention for servers includes the OS type (Windows or Unix.Linux), you will require the services of one of Symantec's partner organizations.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello experts,
I have catalog backup tape and been asked to restore the catalog on a different media server, with different Os installed, with an updated NBU and with a complete different library attached. So my question is, is it possible to restore this catalog on different environment.?

The tape library is irrelevant - providing it has drives compatable with the tapes it will work. A Catalog backup can only be restored to a master server, not a media server. It can only be recovered to the same os type Windows > Windows, Unix > Unix or Unix > Linux or Linux > Unix (*) IT has to be recovered to the same

Marianne
Level 6

Most definately NBU version dependent - exact same NBU version and patch level.
And 'OS family' dependent - windows to another Windows version or Unix/Linux to other Unix/Linux.
Also exact same installation path.
And same hostname.

All of this is documented in Disaster Recovery chapter of NBU Troubleshooting Guide.

And these TNs:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

arsalanali
Level 4

Thanks for the prompt response experts.

My source side Information is as follows:

NBU:  5.3 (dont ask me why its too old)

Destination Side:

NBU: 6.5

and also note that my NBU 6.5 is being used in other backup tasks. So for this old catalog to be restored (if possible), do i have to reinstall NBU on my destination with same installation paths as the source and with same media and master server names.??

Waiting for your kind response

Regards,

Arsalan

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You would have to upgrade the HP install to NBU 6.5 and then migrate.  Master server hostname must stay the same.

IF the Aix 6.5 install is used for backups, you can't migrate the catalog from the HP machine (even when it has been upgraded to 6.5) as you would overwrite the catalog on the destination side, you would need a partner to 'merge' the two catalogs.

If all the backups are on tapes, there is one way - you could just import the tapes from the HP box, though this would take some time as each tape has to be read.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Consider to install a brand new Netbackup domain on NBU 7.6 and migrating the clients.

NBU 6.5 is out of support, so if ANY problem show during the migration you are all alone. Symantec does not accept support call regarding 6.5 any more.

Marianne
Level 6

Forget about trying to recover NBU 5.x catalog on 6.5 server. It won't work.

Simply import the backup tapes on the AIX server.

And then UPGRADE!

arsalanali
Level 4

Thanks everyone, i'll brief the management about what could be done to get these backups on another library/environment.

Thanks again for quick suggestions and help. :) Much appreciated.

Regards,

Arsalan.