cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

local backups vs network backups

AntonioVargas
Level 4
Hi all,

i have a netbackup infraestructure installed in one solaris connected to a tape robot.
i am testing manual backups to see how mutch time they take, to tune the backup window issue.
Strangely, backing up for example 15GB from a windows client connected to the network takes half the time that backing up 15GB (same files and same policy configurations) from the solaris computer directly attached to the robot.
Considering that the thw windows client involves "Networking components" and is not directly connected, my question is:
Shouldnt  the backup made in solaris be faster than the windows client???

backup times:
solaris - 26 minutes
windows client - 12 minutes

regards and thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6
The answer is in proper configurations.

Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.0 Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

Each client must be configured individualy, based on the load and memory of the box, check your buffers settings on both clients and remember that is not just the size of the backup it depends the kind of info, is deffenitly not the same to backup a 15GB file, than 15GB of thousands of files, this can highly impact the netbackup performance.

hope this helps
regards

AntonioVargas
Level 4
Thanks to both,
i will read the manual you gave me and also check for client settings.
One client is my Windows vista PC (just testing backup times) and the other is the solaris 9 machine that is media server on my backup infraestructure.
The files are exactly the same. 15 files on 1GB each and the same for both solaris and windows backup test.

any other clue?

regards

Stumpr2
Level 6
you will find many clues in the doc that the link takes you to.

memory
semaphores/messages
tcp/ip
buffer sizes

just a few.
The doc will help you locate the throughput bottleneck Smiley Wink