cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving catalog

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

We recently moved to a new tape library and a new media server.  At the same time we moved from NBU 7.7 to 8.0  The old media server is about to be repurposed.

What is the best way to bring the catalog from the 7.7 server into the new 8.0 platform?  The old tape library used LTO4 tapes and the new one uses LTO7 - so the new library cannot read tapes from the old library.  Until we get the standalone scsi LTO4 compatible tape reader purchased and hooked up to the new media server - what can be done to import the catalog into the new platform?

I can get a copy of /usr/openv/netbackup/catalog/CatalogBacup_1508047643_FULL from the old server to the new one - would this be useful?

2 REPLIES 2

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You will need to import the media using the catalog tab and then duplicate them to new media (if they have long retentions and you want to retire the media.) IF you started out with a clean install and didn't simply upgrade.

In the case that you did an upgrade, the media are already in the database, so if a restore needs to be done you'd simply go into the device monitor tab and assign the media to the stand alone drive (or have them preloaded and it should just pick them up).

So please let me know what you did to move to 8.0 so I can answer a little better.

Deb

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Pity you did not ask before making changes...

You cannot import or restore 7.7 catalog to a 8.0 installation.

When you migrate to a new master server, you start by installing NBU on the new server using the SAME hostname and same NBU version.
Next, you recover the catalog (using the DR-file and catalog backup media).
You will obviously need a device that can read your catalog tape.

At this point you can upgrade NBU to latest version.

This is how you migrate to new hardware:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041077

All I can suggest now is, is to use the 'Recovery without Import' method: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH28722