cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nbdecommission for NBU 7.0 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Cluster

Raco
Level 4

Hi guys,

I have a Netbackup 7.0 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Cluster.

I downloaded nbdecommission from here • http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/354756.htm but I can not find one that works properly on my environment.

Does any one have an idea?

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"I can not find one that works properly on my environment."

Please tell us a bit more about your environment?

Since Media Servers can no longer be clustered in 7.0, have you installed and configured each node as standalone Media Server? Did you create app_cluster?

What exactly about the decom tool is not working for you?

Please post output of 'nbemmcmd -listhosts' and tell us which media server(s) need to be decommissioned and which server needs to be 'newserver'.

Raco
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

What we have is a clustered master server with two nodes of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Also 3 other media servers, 2 with Windows Server 2008 R2 and one with Windows Server 2003.

But originally, we also have a media server that is no longer connected to the NB and not even connected to our network.

There are many traces still on the NB DB and I want to erase all of them for this old media server.

Then I try to use nbdecommission. Downloaded zip and when unzip I could not find any of them useful on my environment.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You're still not telling us what the issue is. What do you mean "I could not find any of them useful on my environment"? All the platforms NetBackup Enterprise Server can be installed on are included in the zip. I just downloaded it myself. For your environment you should use the nbdecommission under either AMD64 or x86 (depending on whether you're running 64 or 32 bit).

Also, as you're running in a cluster, you have to run nbdecommission with -M Active node where Active node is the node of the cluster you're currently running on.

See this note for details on the issue described above.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135784

Marianne
Level 6

So, you have 3 valid media servers - let's call them media1, media2, media3 plus there used to be media4 that was removed without being decommissioned, right?

The TN that you found says the following:
"nbdecommission can also be helpful in situations where a media server has been incorrectly decommissioned and there are still references to the old server."

What happens when you run the following command on the master server (active node)? 

nbdecommission -oldserver media4  -newserver media1

This should remove all device entries for media4 and change all image/media ownership to media1.

Raco
Level 4

Thank you very much guys for helping,

First I ran nbdecommissionfrom AMD64 folder.

This is what I found after ruining

nbdecommission -oldserver media4  -newserver media1

"unable to obtain machine record for media4, machine type media server"

Perhaps it was a master server instead of media. I´m sorry but I get the actual picture just like it is right now and no one here know how it happen.

Is there any standard procedure for an old master server?

I´m sorry for wasting your time but I need to erase this from my NB.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Please then show us where you're still seeing traces of the old media sever.

Raco
Level 4

For instance, when I I run a "Configure Storage Devices" NB show me the old server into the list of master and media servers. We have some NDMP client and it is also include as part of media servers

Marianne
Level 6

Please post output of:

nbemmcmd -listhosts

Please point out which media server needs to be decommissioned.

If the only reference to this media server is in  Host Properties -> Master -> Servers, you can delete it there.

Raco
Level 4

NBEMMCMD, Version:7.0
The following hosts were found:
server          adnetbackup
cluster         ADNETBACKUP
master          adm1mscs13-01
media           adm2nbck02
ndmp            ADCENTRALFS03
ndmp            ADCENTRALFS02
ndmp            ADCENTRALFS01
ndmp            ADCENTRAL00
media           adpvnbck01
master          adm2mscs13-02
media           adpvnbck03
Command completed successfully.

It does not seems to be here.

Raco
Level 4

Im sorry it deffinitelly is not in this list, the name is adcentral38

Raco
Level 4

Hi guys thanks again for your help.

Finally I decommissioned the phantom server using some of your comment and some papers on line.

I will close this issue as solved.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

exactly what it was that you did - i.e. which procedures did you follow that were suggested above & those that you found online?

Marianne
Level 6

I have cleared the solution until such time whe know what exactly was done.

The idea with marking a post a solution is so that other users having the same problem can simply click on the link to the Solution in the opening post, and be taken straight to the post that will tell them what to do.