cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nbemmcmd

varunprakash
Level 5
Hi, What is the use of nbemmcmd? While googling, i got an informationthat it will add the hostname in the emm server when we add a new media server into a master. FYI: - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279049.htm But i have never executed this cmd when i installed media server and backup also running smoothly. Can also one explain about the cmd what it will do exactly?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kisad
Level 5
You can do quite a few things with this command.Heres what the admin guide says

The nbemmcmd command enables users to update a limited set of EMM database
information. In addition, this command enables you to manage host entries,
configuration options, and other miscellaneous items in the EMM database.

Please check out page no.402 from the NBU 6.5 commands guide (link below)

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290234.pdf

f
ew examples:

• This deletes a media manger (nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename media_server -machinetype media)

• This deletes a tape (nbemmcmd -deletemedia -mediaid 03000I -originhost server)

• This tells you if which boxes are have a emmserver and if they are reachable (nbemmcmd -getemmserver)

• This will let you know if there are any media conflicts (nbemmcmd -listmedia -conflicts)

• This will let you know what hosts are seen as media_managers and master servers (nbemmcmd -listhosts)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kisad
Level 5
You can do quite a few things with this command.Heres what the admin guide says

The nbemmcmd command enables users to update a limited set of EMM database
information. In addition, this command enables you to manage host entries,
configuration options, and other miscellaneous items in the EMM database.

Please check out page no.402 from the NBU 6.5 commands guide (link below)

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290234.pdf

f
ew examples:

• This deletes a media manger (nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename media_server -machinetype media)

• This deletes a tape (nbemmcmd -deletemedia -mediaid 03000I -originhost server)

• This tells you if which boxes are have a emmserver and if they are reachable (nbemmcmd -getemmserver)

• This will let you know if there are any media conflicts (nbemmcmd -listmedia -conflicts)

• This will let you know what hosts are seen as media_managers and master servers (nbemmcmd -listhosts)

varunprakash
Level 5
So are you saying that the cmd nbemmcmd is not only used to add the host name of the server inbp.conf, but also have someother options as well. Am i right?

Kisad
Level 5
yes it does more than adding the host name in bp.conf

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just happened to do a nbemmcmd -Q to see if any unsupported options and this showed up.

-swapmastermedia

Anyone any ideas?

BTW this is a good command shows a lot of information about the media.

$ nbemmcmd -listmedia -allrecords
$ nbemmcmd -listmedia -allrecords -brief

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Not something I'd particularly want to experiment with.....

nbemmcmd -swapmastermedia  [-emmname <string>] [-emmport <unsigned integer>] -masterserver <string> -mediaserver <string>

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was run against a 6.5.5 nbemmcmd binary.
Anyone know or wish to hazard as to what this does. Any Symantec Employees elaborate?

Will_Restore
Level 6
also in 6.0MP7

Never noticed that option before.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
No, I can't really elaborate. 

Sometimes, stuff is undocumented for really, really good reasons.  :)

I believe I can officially speak for Symantec when I urge you:  Don't ever try to use this command with this switch on your own, ever, ever, ever.

Will_Restore
Level 6
ok, that just makes me want to try it all the more devil