cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup 6 catalog update issues

molari001
Level 3
When a backup job fails, eventhough netbackup may have backed up a considerable amount of data, that information is not written in the catalog.   Is there a flag or switch somewhere to disable this behavior?  I think the file information should be added to the catalog as soon as the file is backed up otherwise that is just wasted tape space.  We are running Netbackup 6 in Redhat Enterprise Edition 4.
3 REPLIES 3

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
I don't think there is any file you can modify to change this behaviour and the reason I can think of, they don't want you to bank on failed backup in any way.

Checkpoint enabled backup can help you bit for the backup job you or system restarting (second/third attempt depending upon your configuration).

Stumpr2
Level 6

molari001 wrote:
When a backup job fails, ....otherwise that is just wasted tape space. 

There is constant updates being made to the catalog when a backup is in process. If a backup fails then the image is closed at that point and then the system generates a bpexpdate to expire the image and the tape filemark information. The net result is that when the tape is next mounted for writing an image it will go to the end of the last GOOD image on the tape. So...no tape space is wasted.

calculus
Level 4
 when a backup fails the tape drive does not write an empty header to the media and the last considered empty header is taken as the starting point for the next good backup, following up on what Bob said.
Please do correct me if I am incorrect. Looking forward to some more information in this topic

Calculus