Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup error restoring from an ESXi server to another ESXi server

itsmeLuck
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

I would need to ask for your support for the error that I am experiencing when I am restoring a VM backup from an ESXi server to a different ESXi server.

Netbackup 7.5.0.3

Destination: VMware ESXi Version 4.1.0

Then When I tried to start recover process this is the detailed Status that showed up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can, correct it.

But these TN's seem worth a look.

When performing vStorage restores directly to ESX, the "Run Pre-Recovery Check" may fail with "Valid...

Running pre-recovery check failed if restoring vmware to the alternate location

There are a lot of Restore Notes and Restrictions in the NetBackup Vmware Guide, so check those out.

The credentials have passed but has the user got the permissions?

Can you confirm from this technote and referred technotes here

What are the permissions required for the user configured in NetBackup to logon to vSphere cloud to ...

If this is the first time you have tried a restore, I would use a user with full administrator privileges/permissions within vsphere then work back from there.

Next we need to look at logfiles on the vmware backup host that is performing the restore.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

The AltPath directory must be missing the path <install path>\veritas\netbackup\logs\ in VMware backup host.

itsmeLuck
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Rizwan,

I checked the AltPath Directory and it was there.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it a different datastore from the source of your backed up vm your restoring to.

Could be block size limitations on the destination datastore? For the size of your VMDK's.

This can be issue on ESX4.x

Not an issue on ESXi5 - all 1MB block sizes after upgrading VMFS3 or create fresh VMFS5 datastores

itsmeLuck
Level 4
Partner Accredited

block size limations are the same, how ever there is something that I think I am kind a little suspiscious that might be the cause. In the credentials in the Backup Host the credential name do not have a "period" at the end of the ESXi server name however in the server name in the recovery destination it has a "period" at the end of the name, also in the hostname do have a period at the end of it.

see pictures below: *Upper Image is the name that shows in the credentials tab in the Backup Host, Lower Image is the ESX server name and servername path that shows in the restore Gui.

Would this difference affect the restoration process?.

Thank you and best regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can, correct it.

But these TN's seem worth a look.

When performing vStorage restores directly to ESX, the "Run Pre-Recovery Check" may fail with "Valid...

Running pre-recovery check failed if restoring vmware to the alternate location

There are a lot of Restore Notes and Restrictions in the NetBackup Vmware Guide, so check those out.

The credentials have passed but has the user got the permissions?

Can you confirm from this technote and referred technotes here

What are the permissions required for the user configured in NetBackup to logon to vSphere cloud to ...

If this is the first time you have tried a restore, I would use a user with full administrator privileges/permissions within vsphere then work back from there.

Next we need to look at logfiles on the vmware backup host that is performing the restore.

itsmeLuck
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks again Stuart,

What would be the Log files that you need to take a look at?

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just consult the 

Symantec NetBackup for VMware 7.5 Administrator's Guide

excellent section on troubleshooting and all the log directories to create.

Here is a table detail for these logs. Suggest you have the Guide by your side for reference.