cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup newbie needs help

Jun_Alcanites
Level 3

Just joined this company a couple of days ago.  Found out that severla backup jobs have been failing even before I joined this place.  A lot of jobs are getting the status 58 can not connect error.

I have looked at all the troubleshooting guides, page 27, Troubleshooting procedures, but could not find the cause of these failed backups.  Both master and client servers are running Server 2003 SP2. 

5 REPLIES 5

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

First step....

check DNS....

the master/media/and client should all have a forward and a reverse entry in dns.

and it should return the same thing.

so if you do a

nslookup <server name>

it comes backup with a name and an ip address

do it again and make sure it comes back with the SAME name and ip address

if  aliases are not set up correctly or if there is no reverse you will not be able to connect.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

As previous suggested in previous post run nslookup on Backup servers as well as clients to make sure they can do forward and reverse lookup.

Additionally you can use bpclntcmd command to troubleshoot the issue

bpclntcmd: -hn <hostname>

bpclntcmd: -ip <ipaddress>

dohc97
Level 3

I did the nslookup from both the master server and the client and they are returning the same  name and ip adddress.

I also did the bpclntcmd -hn and -ip from the client.  they both returned the name and ip of the master server.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Can you telnet to the bpcd port on the client?

telnet <client hostname> 13782

eg:

# telnet myclient 13782
Trying **.***.***.***...
Connected to myclient.
Escape character is '^]'.
                                                           [Hit return at this point to close]
Connection to myclient closed by foreign host.

dohc97
Level 3

I get a connection failed when I tried to telnet from the server to the client.