Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup restore ms windows & catalogue backup help

kabacsk
Level 3

Hello Forum,

I have two questions in one post :)

1. I have standard backup with ms windows policy. (backup all local drives)
Do I have different ways than the following in terms of restoration? https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH56473.html
I mean in case of ms windows policy is the only way to restore a failured system to create and install a complete op system and update with the same parameters then it was and then do the process above in the link? Technicaly you have to create a complete computer and restore to that one the system state and system drives. In case of vmware backup policy you only have to start restore and the image will put back everything without that.
Any guidance would be helpful.

2. I have not found any info on this but what do you think what is the best retention period for catalogue backups? Do I have to keep full catalogue backup longer than a few weeks?
3. In terms of a disaster recovery :  what do you think is it a good idea to replicate the catalogue backup to other locations master server's storage?

thank you in advance

Regards

Karoly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please post different queries in separate posts next time?

1) The alternative is to use BMR. 
See NetBackup Bare Metal Restore Administrator's Guide  
Basic setup steps for the Bare Metal Restore (BMR) option to NBU 

2) I do not see any use for Catalog backup retention of more than a couple of days even, but most people keep it for about 2 weeks.
Only the last catalog backup is needed to recover the master.

3) Catalog backup replication? On what kind of storage? Using which type of replication?

Bear in mind that the DR-file is also necessary at DR site and that the location of catalog backup must be the same as the location contained in DR-file.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please post different queries in separate posts next time?

1) The alternative is to use BMR. 
See NetBackup Bare Metal Restore Administrator's Guide  
Basic setup steps for the Bare Metal Restore (BMR) option to NBU 

2) I do not see any use for Catalog backup retention of more than a couple of days even, but most people keep it for about 2 weeks.
Only the last catalog backup is needed to recover the master.

3) Catalog backup replication? On what kind of storage? Using which type of replication?

Bear in mind that the DR-file is also necessary at DR site and that the location of catalog backup must be the same as the location contained in DR-file.

kabacsk
Level 3

Thank you for your reply and help. Next I will send in one post one question.
As for catalogue what replication I mentioned is that I have deduplication storage that replicates from one site other. One side is set as SLP the other side it is set as an import policy from first site.

regards

Karoly