Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not supported 32 bit..

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

Dear All,

I am not able to downlaod NB7 32 bit for solaris X86.. from fileconnect. I downlaod once "NetBackup_7.0_Solaris_x86_GA.tar.gz".
"NetBackup 7 is only supported on solaris X86 OS running in 64 bit mode."
please help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Per the release notes:

"...
All UNIX 32-bit system support has been discontinued. To upgrade these systems to NetBackup 7.0, you must first migrate your current NetBackup 6.x catalogs and databases to a system with a supported platform. However, 32-bit media servers and clients that use NetBackup 6.x are compatible with 64-bit master servers that use NetBackup 7.0. In addition, NetBackup requires OpenStorage vendor plug-ins to be 64-bit. When you upgrade a media server that is used for OpenStorage to NetBackup 7.0, you also must update the vendor plug-in to a 64-bit version.
..."

Exactly what Solaris O/S are you running? Why is it not in 64-bit mode?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Per the release notes:

"...
All UNIX 32-bit system support has been discontinued. To upgrade these systems to NetBackup 7.0, you must first migrate your current NetBackup 6.x catalogs and databases to a system with a supported platform. However, 32-bit media servers and clients that use NetBackup 6.x are compatible with 64-bit master servers that use NetBackup 7.0. In addition, NetBackup requires OpenStorage vendor plug-ins to be 64-bit. When you upgrade a media server that is used for OpenStorage to NetBackup 7.0, you also must update the vendor plug-in to a 64-bit version.
..."

Exactly what Solaris O/S are you running? Why is it not in 64-bit mode?

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

Dear Andy,

Thanks for quick reply...
We are going to deploy NB 7, We do not have any 64 bit hardware free at this time. So this will be only as POC or testing i am having purchased lic. of NB 7.
But now i need 32 bit it can be 7 or 6.5. 
Solaris 10 X86..

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Not sure I understand. You're saying it can be either 7 or 6.5 but you're deploying 7. So where does the 6.5 come into it?

If it has to be 32-bit Solaris it will have to be a 6.5 installation at the most.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You will need to download NBU 6.5 client software.

Links to all Compatibility Guides:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303344.htm

NetBackup Enterprise Server / NetBackup Server 7.x Compatibility Lists
NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,Dedupe,OpsCenter,NDMP,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:    http://support.veritas.com/docs/337048

NetBackup Enterprise Server / NetBackup Server 6.x Compatibility Lists
NetBackup 6.x Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,NOM,NDMP,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:   http://support.veritas.com/docs/325328

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

I have lic for NB 7, not 6.5.
And i am asking simply, I can use either 7 or 6.5.
but I have lic for NB 7 now is it possible to download 6.5 by the lic of NB 7 (if 32 bit available in 6.x).
I dont have 64 bit hardware and its not possible for me to get.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We fully understand your problem and we are trying to tell you that you will have to use NBU 6.5 client software. As per NBU 7 Release Notes, it is perfectly supported.

I have also checked FileConnect - NBU 7 Serial # only lists NBU 7 downloads, nothing for 6.5.

I suggest you click on the " Contact Customer Service "  link at the top to obtain 6.5 software.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6
  1. By owning an NBU 7 license, you have the right to run NBU 7 or any prior version.  You do NOT have the right to newer versions without a support agreement
  2. There is no 32-bit Solaris client for x86 hardware.
  3. The NetBackup 6.5 32-bit Solaris x86 client is fully supported with NetBackup 7 master and media servers.

So with your NBU 7 master/media server, you can install a 6.5 Solaris 10 x86 client and be compliant with your software licenses and fully supported.