Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

performing a maintenance task

Mr_Fox_Foot
Level 4

Hi All,
I need help in performing a maintenance task in one of our NBU environment,
we are in the plan of rebooting the NBU server in one of the Location as part of Maintenance, AS this task is assigned to me for the first time.
This Master server runs on Linux OS and it has 50+ media server connected to it with difference OS flavors.
We have the IBM 3500 series Tape Library,
Can someone assist me in the procedure in performing this activity as a successful one. It would be appreciated if there is any proposal document explains step by step procedures.

Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are just rebooting the Master server then previous post should be enough. Are you rebooting the complete environment including your library and the media server?

If you want to reboot the complete infrasturcuture then here are the steps:

Note: Make sure no backups are running.

1> Shutdown the NBU services on all the media servers

2> Shutdown the media servers

3> Shutdown the library

4> Shutdown the NBU services on the Master server

5> Shutdown the Master server

6> Once you have the maintenace completed reverse the process 5>4>3>2>1

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6

Make sure none of the jobs running on any of the media server or master server. If backups are running on media server make sure you suspend all the jobs which are running.

Once you have the jobs suspended bring down the NBU services using bpdown -v
Once maintenace is completed, start the NBU services again bpup -v and remove the jobs from suspend.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30647

Correct procedures for powering down and powering up the following equipment: Tape Libraries, Storage Area Network equipment (i.e. SAN switches, SAN bridges), Tape Drives, and master/media servers

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You should ask for documentation from the guys that usually do this. We can advise you in general terms, but we will never know the site specific issues.

Mr_Fox_Foot
Level 4

Thank you for the response Sazz and Nicolai,

The guys who was dedicated to this activity is no more in the company, this task was assigned to me and I need an outline procedure in what need tio be done first and in the last. Like a flow chart.

I had already shared the over view of my NBU environment. The Question.

Let me know if any other information needed to make this easier for you, so that you can give me an outline flow chart of the task.

sksujeet
Level 6

If you are just rebooting the Master server then previous post should be enough. Are you rebooting the complete environment including your library and the media server?

If you want to reboot the complete infrasturcuture then here are the steps:

Note: Make sure no backups are running.

1> Shutdown the NBU services on all the media servers

2> Shutdown the media servers

3> Shutdown the library

4> Shutdown the NBU services on the Master server

5> Shutdown the Master server

6> Once you have the maintenace completed reverse the process 5>4>3>2>1

Mr_Fox_Foot
Level 4

Thank you for the help Sazz.

Let me create a action plan based on this steps with all the required details and will make this task a successfull one.