Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Error" reported in restore

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Master Server: NB6.5.4 Solaris 9 Sparc sun4u

Client: NB6.5.4 Solaris 10 Sparc sun4v running zfs & zones

Currently testing this environment (new client). NB installed in global zone only & therefore backing up & restoring solely through this.

As a test, we created a few files within the non-global zones & successfully backed these up via the global zone. We then deleted same & successfully restored them through the same route.

However, noticed a few errors in the problems report & bpbrm logs:

<8> bpbrm handle_restore: expected start message from myclient; read: Unrecognized -J string spsrestoreoptions=0
<4> db_error_add_to_file: expected start message from myclient; read: Unrecognized -J string spsrestoreoptions=0

Does anyone know what these are referring to or can shed some light on this?

Had a check on web & there's not a lot there, altho' indications are that it is due to a binary mis-match?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
BUG REPORT: During a restore, warnings from bpbrm may be displayed which include a substring similar to "Unrecognized -J string spsrestoreoptions=0."  These messages are spurious and may safely be ignored.
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/331599

The bottom line is we're calling some code ALL of the time during restores when it should only be called SOME of the time.  The substring "sps" leads me to suspect SharePoint is involved somehow, but that's only speculation, which I'm not supposed to do on Connect (even if I call it "an educated guess") - so pretend you didn't read this sentence.  :)

The REAL bottom line is you can ignore those logs, but you can't get rid of 'em - yet - sorry!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
I have seen something similar if the client was a higher version that the master server or OS selection was  wrong in the Policy

Have a nice weekend :)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
But, not the case here tho' as Master & Client both running at 6.5.4 & OS selection Solaris10 in Policy.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
I also had a hard time believing you would have overseen such a obvious ting, but that do happen from time to time - even for me (LOL).

Will_Restore
Level 6
only thing I find pertains to Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server??

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
I am expecting a "Doh!!" moment..... :D

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Colleague is setting up a couple of Oracle servers at the moment on a couple of non-global zones for testing purposes, but this was just a restore of a few flat files from those zones but via the global zone (NB client is only installed in global zone & backups, currently, only carried out via same).

CRZ
Level 6
Those log messages are spurious.  There are open Etracks to stop displaying them in the logs but I have no ETA (which is to say "probably not in 6.5.5"), but I CAN tell you they can safely be ignored.

A TechNote is forthcoming.  :)

CRZ
Level 6
BUG REPORT: During a restore, warnings from bpbrm may be displayed which include a substring similar to "Unrecognized -J string spsrestoreoptions=0."  These messages are spurious and may safely be ignored.
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/331599

The bottom line is we're calling some code ALL of the time during restores when it should only be called SOME of the time.  The substring "sps" leads me to suspect SharePoint is involved somehow, but that's only speculation, which I'm not supposed to do on Connect (even if I call it "an educated guess") - so pretend you didn't read this sentence.  :)

The REAL bottom line is you can ignore those logs, but you can't get rid of 'em - yet - sorry!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Cheers Chris. Solution and bonus points this time!!