Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Catalog from One Hardware Platform to Another

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
 Hi,

Is anybody try migrating NetBackup catalog from Sun SPARC to Sun x86/x64? 

Can it be done ?

Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

SF-6900
Level 2

I had posted a similar query on this forum but after logging a case with Symantec, I found that this would be possible through Symantec Professional Services. If your budget allows for that then you may go ahead.

Check this out -> http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301049.htm

The other option is to import the catalogs from the images (bpimport). This is a tedious task!

stan56
Level 4
Yes, I just replied to another thread. Very good chance it will work. I've migrated NB 5.1 from Solaris to Linux before. Most likely will work with Solaris x64 just as well. Unix/Unix should be fine.

sql_noob
Level 4
we just migrated and we set up a new server and started fresh. one reason was we went from DLT 4 tapes to LTO4 and didn't want to spend the money to support the old tapes in the new library. and we have some archive databases with data going back a decade. in the end it's cheaper to buy a server to hold old data than pay Symantec

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
Thank you for all the replies.

I will try it out and let you know the result. 

I believe that backup and recover the catalog or copy the catalog over to the new box should work.

Converting the catalog from BINARY to ASCII seems like quite a tedious work.

Symantec should come out a migration tool for easier migrating catalog from platform to platform.

Thanks again ! 

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
But it is not free.

It's just a money making scheme for their consulting department.