cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regarding FTL - tar file write error (40)

Rohit_Singh_Nay
Level 4
Hi,

My  backup enviorment is getting affected by error FTL - tar file write error (40) and backup is failed with error code 14,i am remotely suppoert the server and backup envorment is Netbackup 5.1 MP4 is installed in my server and windows server 2003 is OS.
Pls suggest me as it is affecting my backup.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6

Please give us a little more information. Start troubleshooting on exit code 14 on page 109 in this document. If you cannot resolve the issue on your own then please return with more questions concerning the troubleshooting methos outlined in this guide.

VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.1 Troubleshooting Guide for UNIX and Windows View Summary
Doc. ID: 268196 05/21/2004

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/268196.pdf

I am going to cut/paste from the manual in case others may want to see what it says without having to download the pdf
but, PLEASE download it for your future reference.

NetBackup Status Code: 14
Explanation: A write to a file or socket failed. Possible causes include:
◆ I/O error writing to the file system.
◆ Write to a socket failed. This can be caused by a network problem or a problem with the process reading from the socket.
◆ Writing to a full disk partition.
Recommended Action:
◆ Check the NetBackup Problems report for clues on where and why the problem occurred.
◆ For detailed troubleshooting information, create a debug log directory for the process that returned this status code, retry the operation, and check the resulting debug log.
◆ Make sure that routers, bridges, and other network devices are all at “full” duplex.
◆ Use a “sniffer” program to determine the number of packets being rejected and/or re-requested.
◆ On Windows systems, the client bpbkar log may contain a 10054 “Connection Reset Error”error (usually indicates a hardware error). Somewhere between the NetBackup client and server, the connection was reset. When NetBackup receives this error, it is unable to continue the backup. This error has been attributed to the following:
◆ A hiccup in the network.
◆ A bad network interface card on a NetBackup client.
◆ A bad network interface card on the NetBackup server.
◆ Faulty routers.
◆ Other applications interfering with NetBackup connections.
◆ On Novell systems, status code 14 has also been attributed to network issues. Try a “sniffer” program, as suggested above.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shans
Level 4
Hi Rohit

If you are trying to backup exchanges servers please follow the below link .

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/268514.htm

Regards

Stumpr2
Level 6

Please give us a little more information. Start troubleshooting on exit code 14 on page 109 in this document. If you cannot resolve the issue on your own then please return with more questions concerning the troubleshooting methos outlined in this guide.

VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.1 Troubleshooting Guide for UNIX and Windows View Summary
Doc. ID: 268196 05/21/2004

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/268196.pdf

I am going to cut/paste from the manual in case others may want to see what it says without having to download the pdf
but, PLEASE download it for your future reference.

NetBackup Status Code: 14
Explanation: A write to a file or socket failed. Possible causes include:
◆ I/O error writing to the file system.
◆ Write to a socket failed. This can be caused by a network problem or a problem with the process reading from the socket.
◆ Writing to a full disk partition.
Recommended Action:
◆ Check the NetBackup Problems report for clues on where and why the problem occurred.
◆ For detailed troubleshooting information, create a debug log directory for the process that returned this status code, retry the operation, and check the resulting debug log.
◆ Make sure that routers, bridges, and other network devices are all at “full” duplex.
◆ Use a “sniffer” program to determine the number of packets being rejected and/or re-requested.
◆ On Windows systems, the client bpbkar log may contain a 10054 “Connection Reset Error”error (usually indicates a hardware error). Somewhere between the NetBackup client and server, the connection was reset. When NetBackup receives this error, it is unable to continue the backup. This error has been attributed to the following:
◆ A hiccup in the network.
◆ A bad network interface card on a NetBackup client.
◆ A bad network interface card on the NetBackup server.
◆ Faulty routers.
◆ Other applications interfering with NetBackup connections.
◆ On Novell systems, status code 14 has also been attributed to network issues. Try a “sniffer” program, as suggested above.

schmaustech
Level 5
A bpbkar log from the client and bpbrm log from the media server with a verbosity of 5 would definitely provide more details.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus