cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring problem from gui

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi ,
I have problem in restoring a client.While restoring from gui it does not recognizing  the clients. Instead of that its starts restoring in my remote administration pc.We are using solaris as master/media and client servers.

This problem raised earlier too.But when I gave the interface name in the hostproperties  of client its resolved. But now again its giving a trouble.can any one help me on this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please do the following:
On your PC (vps-prd-05), open the Backup Archive & Restore Gui.
Select File -> NetBackup Client Properties:

ScreenHunter_09 Jan. 06 14.42.gif

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6
Do NOT change the Client name in Host Properties - that is a sure way of telling NetBackup that you want to restore that client's data to your Admin PC.

This is what the Admin Guide says about Client Name Properties:
The host that is specified in the Client name field is the NetBackup client name for the selected client. The Client name is the name by which the client is known to NetBackup. The name must match the name the policy uses to back up the client. The only exception is for a redirected restore, where the name must match that of the client whose files are to be restored. The client name is initially set during installation.

If you have bprd log on the master server, you will be able to see how NBU compares hostnames and configured names and determines that Destination Client = local client.

Stumpr2
Level 6

I have been distracted in the past and while initiating a restore from the GUI I neglected to change the destination client to the proper client name. Guess what? The restore goes to where the GUI is initiated just as you describe.

I highly suggest that you become familiar with the bplist and bprestore commands. The restore is much faster. You are blessed with a Solaris shop which will make it easier for formulating the correct syntax for the commands.

Check it out. Try it.
It will seem bulky and will take a little more time when you first start using the command line but once you understand and practice using them you will be amazed at the power and speed for doing restores. Many NetBackup admins have scripts created for doing mass restores for DR practices.

Will_Restore
Level 6
If there's a problem then why restore it?  :)  But I agree command line can be more efficient than GUI.

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

I have not changed the client name in the host properties window. I had changed some other setting only. Now my problem is, when i tried  to restore the cleint from which backup is taken , its not restoring there. But when I gave destination point as some other server it will restore perfectly.Do u know why its happening.

Marianne
Level 6
Apologies - I misunderstood your reference to Host Properties.
Maybe we can provide better assistance if you explain what 'other settings' you have changed?

Also find the section similar to the following in the master server's bprd log and post it:

##.##.## [####.####] <2> restorefiles:    browse_client =
##.##.## [####.####] <2> restorefiles:    requesting_client =
##.##.## [####.####] <2> restorefiles:    destination_client =
##.##.## [####.####] <2> restorefiles:    requesting_client_hostname =
##.##.## [####.####] <2> restorefiles:    destination_client_hostname =

mubarack_s
Level 6

Hi ,

I have changed the interface required in host properties of client server before a month.I had given the interface of media server.Acually that cleint is under control of  that media server only. It was working fine for more than a month. But now its started again to give trouble.

In the restore tab I am giving below options only.

In Netbackup Client properites tab
===========================
Clinet name as webserver1

In specify netbackup policy tab:
==========================

as server--- master server name
source client --- web server1
destination client -- webserver1
poilicy type as -- standard

If I give this detination client netbackp not recognizing. if I give destination client as webserver2 its restoring perfectly.

Marianne
Level 6
On which server do you see the following?

In Netbackup Client properites tab
===========================
Clinet name as webserver1

Is this on the client or your Admin Console?

Please find and post the 'restorefiles' section in bprd log file as requested in my previous reply.
Also post the client's bp.conf file.

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

This is the out put of bprd file of master server

12:28:07.218 [8824] <2> restorefiles:    browse_client = SS93VPWB02-01
12:28:07.218 [8824] <2> restorefiles:    requesting_client = SS93VPWB02-01
12:28:07.218 [8824] <2> restorefiles:    destination_client = SS93VPWB02-01
12:28:07.218 [8824] <2> restorefiles:    requesting_client_hostname = vps-prd-05
12:28:07.218 [8824] <2> restorefiles:    destination_client_hostname = vps-prd-05
12:28:07.218 [8824] <2> restorefiles:    requesting_user = root
12:28:07.218 [8824] <2> restorefiles:    requesting_group = root

SS93VPWB02-01 --- this is my client name

vps-prd-05 --- this is the hostname of  my local pc in which netbackup remote administration console is installed

Marianne
Level 6
Can you see what's happening here?
The NetBackup configured server/client name where the restore is initiated from is contained in this entry:
requesting_client = SS93VPWB02-01

This says to me that the Client Name in Host Properties for your PC was changed to SS93VPWB02-01.

That is why the restore is going to your PC:
requesting_client_hostname = vps-prd-05
destination_client_hostname = vps-prd-05

This is what my bprd looks like for a restore intiated from the master:

10:00:21 [2792.1068] <2> restorefiles:    browse_client = fp04
10:00:21 [2792.1068] <2> restorefiles:    requesting_client = master
10:00:21 [2792.1068] <2> restorefiles:    destination_client = fp04
10:00:21 [2792.1068] <2> restorefiles:    requesting_client_hostname = master
10:00:21 [2792.1068] <2> restorefiles:    destination_client_hostname = fp04

You can see that my requesting_client and requesting_client_hostname are the same.
The requesting_client entry is the Client Name in Host Properties. This name must ALWAYS be the same as the local hostname, unless you want to force a redirected restore (like what happened when the restore was sent to your PC).

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi ,

I have tried all your solutions. I have not changed the client name but i donno why it is not restoring to the exact client. Am I need to give you any more info to resolve this problem?

Marianne
Level 6
Please do the following:
On your PC (vps-prd-05), open the Backup Archive & Restore Gui.
Select File -> NetBackup Client Properties:

ScreenHunter_09 Jan. 06 14.42.gif

mubarack_s
Level 6

Hi,

Thanks alot. you are correct, the client name is with the enty of my server name, In which need to restore.I have changed it as my local pc name now. Now its working fine. I have not noticed this yet. Thank you for your timely help.