TLD(0)     SCSI port = 3, bus = 0, target = 2, lun = 0

Robot Selection
---------------
 1)  TLD 0
 2)  none/quit
Enter choice: 1

Robot selected: TLD(0)   robotic path = \\.\Scsi3:

Invoking robotic test utility:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tldtest.exe -p 3 -b 0 -t 2 -l 0 -d1 Tape1 -d
2 Tape0

Opening \\.\Scsi3:
mode_sense failed
sense key = 0x2, asc = 0x4, ascq = 0x3, LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, MANUAL INTERVENT
ION REQUIRED
Enter tld commands (? returns help information)
m s1 d1
Must execute a successful mode sense prior to executing this command.

What am I doing wrong?  What is the command to execute mode sense?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
The library is not working properly and that is what the mode sense is refering to. re-install the library.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6
The library is not working properly and that is what the mode sense is refering to. re-install the library.

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@Darmin Memisevic wrote:

Robot selected: TLD(0)   robotic path = \\.\Scsi3:

Invoking robotic test utility:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tldtest.exe -p 3 -b 0 -t 2 -l 0 -d1 Tape1 -d
2 Tape0

Opening \\.\Scsi3:
mode_sense failed

Mode_sense failed basically means that robtest asked how the library was doing and didn't get a good answer back.  While this could be a communication problem, it also may indicate a library issue.

sense key = 0x2, asc = 0x4, ascq = 0x3, LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, MANUAL INTERVENT
ION REQUIRED

Can you double-check that the library is actually 'online'?  If the door is open or it's in a manual operations mode, then you can get this kind of indication.  If absolutely nothing else is working, you could consider power-cycling the library

--
Darren

Darmin_Memisevi
Level 3
I believe that this is indicating to me that the robotic arm is damaged.  When Netbackup is ran, and a backup job is started, I can go to the details of the job and when the job gets to the "mounting device id 000001" or any other tape number it stays at that stage for as long as one day. 

This library "SL500" also has its storagetek library console.  When we powercycle the library everything is green "ready to go" The console sees its 2 tape drives and robot arm.   After we send a backup job from Netbackup, and it gets to the mounting stage, it freezes.  After that, if we go to the SLC robot arm is marked with a red X. 

We will have to take this now to the storagetek as I believe it is no longer a Netbackup issue.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I agree

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@Darmin Memisevic wrote:

This library "SL500" also has its storagetek library console.  When we powercycle the library everything is green "ready to go" The console sees its 2 tape drives and robot arm.   After we send a backup job from Netbackup, and it gets to the mounting stage, it freezes.  After that, if we go to the SLC robot arm is marked with a red X.

Many libraries have a way to do tape motion directly from the front panel.  Without using NetBackup at all, can you request the same tape to move that way and see if it succeeds or fails?

Most tape support folks will want to see the failure that way, otherwise they have to spend time verifying that it's not a software problem or misconfiguration that has nothing to with the library.

--
Darren

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Run "sgscan" or "scan" command to check if it shows changer. Mode sense error doesn't really mean robotic arm is damaged it can be a bad Fibre/SCSI  connection you are using to reach to control the library.
Moved:

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified