cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slot

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

When i run Inventory,Tapes from MAP moves into slot 1,2,3,4,5 respectively.

1.When backup runs,tape from slot 1 moves into tape drive.Now my question is:Can I move tape in slot 2 to slot 1 by command m s2 s1.And if i can ,then where will tape go when it comes back from tape drive

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

One thing to note - if you *DO* use robtest (or any other means that is not the NetBackup application) to move *ANY* tapes from their original locations (either within the library or as a means of ejection or injection) & *DO NOT*  move them back to their original slots, whether this be intentional or not, then you *MUST* run an inventory to update the library from NetBackups perspective otherwise it will not know where the media is located.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NO!! Robot knows tape in drive comes from slot 1. If it needs to put the tape back after the backup and find another tape in slot 1, it WILL report an error message to NBU: Unable to unload drive. The result will be a DOWN drive with a tape that cannot be returned to its slot.

Once you have added tapes to the robot, leave them alone. The robot knows where each tape is and NBU was also updated with this info during inventory. There is NEVER a need to manually move tapes around.

WHY would you want to do something like that??

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

You can get the same if you manually load media into 'free' slots in a library when backups to tape are currently active - i.e. no end of problems.

So as Marianne states - Don't!

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

I wont do that,I am just asking my query.Suppose i have a bad tape in drive and i need to move it.Then what to do?

Marianne
Level 6
Tape will be unloaded at end of (failed) backup and put back in home slot. Simply right-click on media-id, eject.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

When the backup got failed,It will come backup to its home slot automatically?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NIkhil,

"When the backup got failed,It will come backup to its home slot automatically?"

Answer this question for me.

Where do you really think it would go ?

NBU + more importantly the library know that the tape "xxyyzz" lives in slot "Z" ...

If the backup is works or not, why on earth do you think the tape could go anywhere ealse, other than where it came from.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

OK.Thanks martin.So i can move tape from one slot to another but its not a good practice and drive will be down with this act.Right guys?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Right ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies I removed my remark as could be condoned as condescending.

Just read and reread the Admin Guides. A lot of good topics in there.

eg. How netbackup selects tapes.

#enoughsaid.

Marianne
Level 6

NIKHIL, what on earth will you accomplish or solve by moving a tape from one slot to another?

If you think a tape might be faulty, eject it from the robot.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

One thing to note - if you *DO* use robtest (or any other means that is not the NetBackup application) to move *ANY* tapes from their original locations (either within the library or as a means of ejection or injection) & *DO NOT*  move them back to their original slots, whether this be intentional or not, then you *MUST* run an inventory to update the library from NetBackups perspective otherwise it will not know where the media is located.