cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slowness in Media servers

Vishnuaabe
Level 4

After ther recent upgrade to 7.6.0.4 from 7.1.0.4 I observ slowness in AIX media servers which have 15 gigs of RAM. The backups which runs using these media servers runs with low throughputs and backups not progressing.

Any suggestion for this ?.

5 REPLIES 5

watsons
Level 6

When you do a "top" or process check, what are the processes that consume most RAM or CPU?

There is a known issue about telemetry data causing performance issue (telemetry is something new in NB7.6). Check this out:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000024576

Using the workaround in this technote is fine (renaming the binary), but it's better to put this line in your bp.conf and restart NBU:

TELEMETRY_UPLOAD = NO

Btw, this issue is not limited to AIX only, I have got the same issue in one of my RHEL master few weeks ago.

Vishnuaabe
Level 4

Thansks Watsons ,I just followed the work arround by setting up a cron tab for SLIB clean though it seems reduce in the spaces but the CPU utlization remains high.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Been a while since I worked with AIX, but there was some technotes regarding the netcard/tcp settings on AIX which could improve throughput

Also I would check if there wass changes in the recommended kernel tunables

Know there has been a problem with deduplication on certain TLs on AIX

If you are running these media servers as powerVMs also check the VIO server(s) under load with something like viosadvisor

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

watsons
Level 6

Have you tried renaming those 2 binaries as per the technote workaround?

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbtelesched
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbtelemetry

watsons
Level 6

Not sure what you meant by SLIB clean?

Have you tried renaming these 2 binaries as per the technote?

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbtelesched
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbtelemetry