cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

synthetic backups

T_N
Level 6
All,

I know NBU 6.0 has problem "GENERAL ERROR: Incremental True Image Restore (TIR) backups are running as Full backups for all but the first folder listed in the policy"

Incremental True Image Restore (TIR) backups run as Full backups on every folder except the first folder listed in the policy.  This occurs when the "Collect true image restore information" and "Move Detection" settings are enabled in the policy. (Figure 1)  The backup sections in the policy may include Universal Naming Convention (UNC) paths or regular directories in the Backup Selections tab.

If both of these settings are enabled, then incremental backups will back up the same amount of data as a full backup for all except the first backup selection listed in the policy.  This problem has been seen on Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.0 GA through NetBackup 6.0 Maintenance Pack 4 (MP4) releases on Windows clients only.  This issue does not apply to UNIX systems.  This issue affects both backups of local file systems as well as UNC paths.

on new version NBU 6.5 MP3, does it have same issue ????
3 REPLIES 3

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I assume you're referring to Etrack 894354 referenced in TechNote 286498.  This issue was fixed in 6.0 MP5, and I have no indication that this was ever an issue in any of the 6.5 releases.

T_N
Level 6
Did you try it on NBU 6.5 ?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Did I try...synthetic backups on 6.5?  No, I haven't run any synthetic backups lately.

What I DID do was check the bug report you referenced, saw it was fixed in 6.0 MP5, and didn't see a comparable report in 6.5.  And then I told you what I'd found.

My hunch is, if this was ever a problem in the 6.5 tree - and again, I have no indication that it ever was - it was fixed in the code long before 6.5 was even released.  But take that with as many grains of salt as you like.  I may be an employee, but ultimately, it's still free advice and probably worth what you've paid for it.  ;)