cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the max concurrent jobs on AdvancedDisk STU

T_N
Level 6
Hi All,

Anyone know what's the best number of the max concurrent jobs of AdvancedDisk STU ?  I have 5 media servers (4 unix media servers and one master/media server), each has 2 array disks (3511)
for each array disk I created disk pool and STU on it. the max concurrent jobs I set is 8 . Backup jobs are running look good but I like to know  the best number of max concurrent jobs , Thanks.

T.
4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you are unsure how may MB/sec the array can perform, vxbench is the test tool you are looking for. If you have the number, you can divide by the average transfer rate per client  and estimate what is best for you.

Small example:

Examples:

vxbench -w write -i iosize=128,iocount=262144 /diskstu4/dsu/testfile1

output:

total: 111.531 sec 300852.32 KB/s cpu: 48.65 sys 0.04 user

vxbench download page

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
everything depends of what you are doing with this DSTU if is your Tier 1 layer for backups you need to setup this for writes more than for reads, has RAID 1 or 4 who are faster than RAID 5, if you add that you have a LUN through a 1GB HBA you need to ensure you dont overflow that throughput, same for the iSCSI and NFS ones with the NIC's, next the I/O came in the speed of the Disks is an other factor to consider if they are SATA/IDA they can became the bottleneck, has you see to tune this up it depends a lot of what you already have and maybe some adjustments can be made.

hope this helps.
regads.

T_N
Level 6
vxbench ? it's great could you please give me the detail of this command line ?
In your example:

Examples:

vxbench -w write -i iosize=128,iocount=262144 /diskstu4/dsu/testfile1

output:

total: 111.531 sec 300852.32 KB/s cpu: 48.65 sys 0.04 user

Do I run exact this command line (vxbench -w write -i iosize=128,iocount=262144 /diskstu4/dsu/testfile1) ?