cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmchange syntax change in 6.5 from 5.x

Justin_Smith1
Level 3

I just finished an upgrade to 6.5 from 5.x (long time overdue) and had some scripts created that ejected tapes via  a .bat file. It seems as if the vmchange syntax has changed. What I'm trying to do is eject multiple tapes that are in a text file. For instance, I have a script (that works) that takes all of the daily backups and outputs that to a .txt file. My OLD (Working) script ejected all the tapes in that text file.

Here's the old script.

for /f %%i IN ('d:\usedmedia\bellevue.txt') DO d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -mt dlt -e -m %%i -sec 1

Now the script will not eject any tapes and manually running the command from a command prompt doesnt work.

Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

Looks similar to what I do:

vmchange -res -mt dlt -multi_eject -ml <volume> -single_cycle

The -single_cycle is the bit that keeps it from waiting around for confirmation.

--

Darren

Justin_Smith1
Level 3

I get an error that I need to add the Robot Type, when I add that I need a robot number, when I add that I get a missing robot control host.

Once that is all added, I get the following, MAILSLOT_STATUS and database server is down errors. 

D:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -rt tld -rn 1 -rh sestver2 -mt hcart3 -multi_eject -ml I02016 -single_cycle
MAILSLOT_STATUS 78 I02016 UNKNOWN 1 1 6

D:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -rt tld -rn 1 -rh sestver2 -mt hcart3 -multi_eject -ml I02075 -single_cycle
MAILSLOT_STATUS 129 I02075 UNKNOWN 2 1 6

D:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -rt tld -rn 1 -rh sestver2 -mt hcart3 -multi_eject -ml I02013 -single_cycle
MAILSLOT_STATUS 73 I02013 UNKNOWN 3 1 6

D:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -rt tld -rn 1 -rh sestver2 -mt hcart3 -multi_eject -ml I02070 -single_cycle
MAILSLOT_STATUS 62 I02070 UNKNOWN 4 1 6

D:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -rt tld -rn 1 -rh sestver2 -mt hcart3 -multi_eject -ml I02147 -single_cycle
MAILSLOT_STATUS 353 I02147 UNKNOWN 5 1 6

D:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -rt tld -rn 1 -rh sestver2 -mt hcart3 -multi_eject -ml I02019 -single_cycle
database server is down (23)

D:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -rt tld -rn 1 -rh sestver2 -mt hcart3 -multi_eject -ml I02141 -single_cycle
database server is down (23) 

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

The MAILSLOT_STATUS line isn't an error.  It's just status information of some sort.  I think it is the slot it came from, the name of the volume, the location (ejected is UNKNOWN), and the eject slot.  I don't know what the last two items are, but I get a 1 and a 6 as well.

Now why you can't connect to the DB, that's a different story.  Did the daemon actually die?  Did you have to restart it?

It would be more difficult to script, but you can actually put all your tapes (or as many as you have eject slots for) into one command, just join them up with colons after the -ml.

--

Darren

Justin_Smith1
Level 3

I actually got it to work with this script.

for /f %%i IN (d:\usedmedia\bellevue.txt) DO d:\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -h sgendlt1 -res -m %%i -mt hcart3 -rt none -rn 1 -rh sestver2 -e -sec 1 -single_cycle

Stumpr2
Level 6

Thanks for sharing the solution.

I gave you 1 vote :)