cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups run with < 100kb/sec throughput

Cray
Level 2

Greetings,

I'm a new administrator for our Netbackup solution - we are running v. 6.0MP7 on a 64bit Win2003 box backing up windows clients to a Quantum LTO3 tape drive.  A few days ago, the backups were running with a throughput of 1500k and 8000k as listed in the activity monitor.  Now they are running at 60k or in some cases less, and I'm not sure why.  Aside from the network port settings, what areas should I look at in Netbackup to track down what is causing the bottleneck?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cray
Level 2

Being new to this scene, it took me a bit to run down the problem, but I think I found it.  There was an error with my tape system over the weekend and I power-cycled it.  After that, the backups were painfully slow like I described above.  I just learned that the iSCSI interface has a separate power-cycle function, and I did that, restarted my iSCSI initiator and my next two backups were back to normal speed.  So apparently, all I needed to do was reboot the correct piece of hardware.  Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

-Cray

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6

Name resolution has caused this symptom in the past for me. The name could eventually be resolved but it took a long time. Try using the local hosts file for name resolution.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Double check the duplexing on the host & switch.

schmaustech
Level 5

Check CPU utilization on the client host and since windows check for volume/disk fragmentation.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Cray
Level 2

thanks for the swift updates, and I have checked DNS, and it is resolving names fine, and I've verified that the tcp/ip is configured for full duplex, and the cpu is hardly used, even during backups.  I have located MS iSCSI event log errors that occur at the same time that my backups are running, and I'm trying to track that lead down to see if it is the issue. 

-Cray

schmaustech
Level 5

If the ISCSI devices are using the same network and interface as the Netbackup backup, you probably have resource contention on the network interface.  If you can offload one or the other to another network interface that goes into a seperate switch and/or network, that may help. 

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Cray
Level 2

Being new to this scene, it took me a bit to run down the problem, but I think I found it.  There was an error with my tape system over the weekend and I power-cycled it.  After that, the backups were painfully slow like I described above.  I just learned that the iSCSI interface has a separate power-cycle function, and I did that, restarted my iSCSI initiator and my next two backups were back to normal speed.  So apparently, all I needed to do was reboot the correct piece of hardware.  Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

-Cray

Stumpr2
Level 6

Thanks for the followup. You had us scratching our heads here  {:-)