cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to know..can duplication via SLP be multiplexed ?

nbuno
Level 6

3 queries i have ---:::

1. i have two drives and but at a time only one SLP gets active..why ?

2. Also, can we somehow let the duplication from a Disk pool to medias be multiplexed.. ?

3. another thing, if backup and duplications are happening via SLP's then does the setting " Media Multiplexing" in policy schedule tab has some significance ?

4 REPLIES 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

1) How many 'concurrent write drives' do you have sent on the destination STU.  If only one, it will only use 1 drive.  Also, depending on hw SLP batches up the images may have some effect.

2)  If the images were not mpx to start with, there is no way to mpx them on the duplication.

SLP is mainly used when backing up to disk and mpx to tape.   The disk/ tape relationship should have high performance, so mpx make little sense.  

3)  The mpx settng on the policy is only related to backups.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My 2c....

1) You are not giving us ANY info about your SLP.... why?

2) Important to understand how jobs are grouped together for SLP duplication. See Best practice for SLP and AIR 
Readt hrough topics such as: Large duplication jobs are more efficient , Considerations for environments with very large images and many very small images. etc... etc.....

3) From Best Practice Guide:
2. Disk backups are not multiplexed, all duplication from disk to tape is single stream. Disk to disk duplications will run in parallel (subject to any limitations on the maximum I/O streams) but duplications from disk to tape are serial in nature with only one stream going to each tape drive.

nbuno
Level 6

thanks ..that was helpful

lol..Marianne..no this setup is not for MI6..kindly let me know what info can i provide..i didn't give that initially as i didn't want to confuse you guys..

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It helps if you give us a basic background of what you are doing with SLP, such as what you are using for backups, what you are using for duplication.
Do you have different SLPs for daily, weekly, monthly, etc backups to cater for different retentions?
Have ALL schedules in ALL policies been replaced with SLP as destination? 

Different SLPs for different retentions will affect grouping of disk images for duplication.

Please show us how your SLPs are configured:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbstl -L