cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what policy is used for manual backup via java gui?

altmiket
Level 4

hey guys,

i have an NBU client with multiple policies configured to allow user backups, most of which get kicked off via script.

however i also want to allow users to on this client to run the netbackup java gui, and invoke backups that way as well.

the problem i'm running into is that when a user invokes a backup via the GUI, netbackup seems to pick a random policy on this client to associate with the backup, and long story short, i end up with backups in the wrong tape pool.

there doesn't appear to be a 'policy' widget anywhere in the veritas gui under 'backup files' in the backup, archive and restore area.  i'm guessing veritas just randomly picks a policy that includes this client when the user backup is fired up.

is there any way to control what policy a client uses when manually selecting files to back up?

3 REPLIES 3

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
There is no random on the way netbackup triggers the jobs, this ones can be client side controled by script, control-m, autosys or cron, master scheduler side depending on the schedules configuration which can be by calendar or frequency and depending on this last two your jobs will run based on the first run and bpsched or nbpem will save this.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I know what the issue is but not how to solve it.

when you say java gui - i think you mean that they kick off the gui from a unix box.

if you use the windows gui (like from your desktop) you can set the client properties, on the backups tab and say what policy and what schedule  ( if you don't set this then by default they say any)

but I cannot find that on the java gui.....

does anybody else know who to set the user initated bakcup from the java gui to pick a policy and schedule?

altmiket
Level 4

yup that's the problem i have. 

user backups invoked from the java gui pick a random policy to run under, if there are multiple policies for that client, and there doesn't appear to be any way to control it.

i will try the windows gui - thanks for the tip.