Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pliss help, unable to convert from Microsoft Dynamic Disk to SFW Dynamic Disk

Arief_Furqon
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi all ,

We have a problem here, i have a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 that already assign iscsi disk and create a Windows dynamic disk from there . After that i install the Storage Foundation for Windows 5.1 SP2 (based on the SCL it's already supported) , the installation goes fine and everything normal when i'm trying to create a diskgroup and volume from a new disk . 

The problem is when i'm trying to convert my Windows dynamic disk group to SFW Dynamic Disk Group, the import disk group said that

V-76-58645-31: Dynamic disk group has a version not supported in this release. And based on this knowledge based (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51738 ) said that i just need to install the newer storage foundation but SFW 5.1 SP2 is the newest version right ? . And the strange things is that the version of the disk group in the properties shown "0" not "20" for example. So now that disk group is stucked.

I have a several important data in that disk group, please help . there's anyone have an idea for this ?    

Thank's

Regards

Arief Furqon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arief_Furqon
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi all , 

I already get my data back using another software so it would be little bit easier for me now, but for this case yes maybe i'm gonna open case to symantec support .

Thank's for all of your response. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried to convert before attempting the import?

Extract from Admin Guide:

Converting a Microsoft Disk Management Disk Group
On a Windows Server 2008 system, converting a Microsoft Disk Management disk group to a SFW dynamic disk group can be done by using the Convert to SFW Dynamic Disk Group command.

To convert a Microsoft Disk Management disk group to an SFW dynamic disk group
1 In the tree view, right-click the Microsoft Disk Management disk group and select the command Convert to SFW Dynamic Disk Group from the context menu.
2 The Convert to SFW Dynamic Disk Group confirmation box appears.
Review the steps of the procedure and click Yes to begin the conversion.
3 Reboot the server.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Arief,

You are on the right track.  The disk group version should be 20 for an windows compatible disk group.  With the version being 0 it is not a supported disk group version for the upgrade process.

I have tried this my test Widnows 2008 R2 server (non-SP1) and the Windows Dynamic Disk group is created with version 20.  This is the same as it was with Windows 2003.  20 is version the only version that Microsoft Disk Manager is suppose to create. 

At this time, we would need more details on how the dynamic disk group was originally created.  But I think the best way to move forward would be to open a case with Symantec Technical Support.  We will be able to determine the best way to move forward. It sounds like we will either need to manually change the disk group version in the private region or possibly something more drastic (I'm not going into details here because it should not be done without Symantec Support engaged.)

Thanks,

Wally

Arief_Furqon
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi all , 

I already get my data back using another software so it would be little bit easier for me now, but for this case yes maybe i'm gonna open case to symantec support .

Thank's for all of your response.