cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-76-58645-585: Failed to reserve a majority of disks in cluster dynamic disk group

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Everyone,

Am getting the following error when trying to import a disk group as a cluster disk group:

V-76-58645-585: Failed to reserve a majority of disks in cluster dynamic disk group

Disk is able to import as a dynamic disk group but not as a cluster disk group. Platform is Windows Server 2003 SP2 32bit. SFWHA version is 5.1 SP2. Have following the steps on this technote (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH88082) but issue still persists.

The hardware is a small PC that has three seperate SATA hard disks (no RAID controller). OS resides on one disk while the rest of the two disks are in a single DG. To trouble shoot, also removed one disk from DG but the clustered import fails. Cluster has a single node only. Have enabled UseSystemBus attirbute as well. Tried force import option too. Is there a hardware limitation in place here?

Does any one have any suggestions (to isolate the issue)? Thanks.

WBR,

SW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi SW,

Sorry, I overlooked the comment you posted about these being IDE disks.  I don't think we can work with IDE disks at all, even with the patch to bypass the SCSI reservations.  However, it is has been a long time since I've seen IDE disks in a server, you might want to contact us again and request that you try the patch.  It might work with IDE disks but I don't know off hand.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It could be that SFW is unable to get SCSI reservations on the disks so check SCSI reservations are enabled on the LUNs.

Mike

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Shahfar,

Try using the SCSICMD utility to check if the disks support SCSI 2 or SCSI 3 reservations.

SCSICMD utility and how to use it can be found at:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH72086&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1323903372572

SFW-HA by default uses SCSI 2 reservations but can be switched to used SCSI 3 if needed. There are tech notes on how to switch to SCSI 3 in the VEA System Console.

I think we might have a patch that can bypass the reservations when using internal disks.  But I don't remember the exact details off hand.  It might be limited on version or hardware that it works with.  If you have problems with both SCSI 2 and SCSI 3 then I would recommend opening a case with Symantec Technical Support to see if there is something else that we can do to help you. 

Thanks,

Wally

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Mark/Wally,

Thank you for your responses. I have used the scsicmd tool to check for scsi reservations but in this case, the tool reports that the disks do not support scsi3 reservations. I have also switched to scsi2 using the vea console (and cleared scsi reservations using the console as well) but it makes no difference. What do you guys suggest?

WBR,

SW

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Guys,

Just deleted the existing DG and was trying to create a new clustered DG and got the following error:

Warning V-47-1-216 . List of selected disks contain IDE disk. Cluster disk group cannot by created

Is there any way to disable SF to not use SCSI reservations at all? This is a single node cluster, so we can forgo not having SCSI reservations I think.

WBR,

SW

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Shahfar,

Please open a case with Symantec Technical Support on this issue. 

I've been able to track down two etracks for this issue. 

The first one is etrack 1510627 which is included in 5.1 SP2.  However, I cannot find in the documentation how to enable or disable the SCSI 2 reservations.  I've got a general question to our Engineering team to try to get the details on this process.  If you open a case we can escalate the issue to Engineering to ensure that we get the answer that you need.

The second etrack is 2252699.  This one is a private patch that is only available through opening a support case.  This etrack adds support for internal disks to the Windows 2008 OS and it also includes the Windows 2003 drivers needed as well (I'm not sure if the Windows 2003 drivers are actually updated in this release or not.)

When you open a case please mention both Etracks to the TSE that you talk to.

Thanks,

Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Shahfar,

I did get confirmation that etrack 1510627 is listed in error as being included in the 5.1 SP2 product.  As such, the patch is not installed with 5.1 SP2. 

You will need to open a support case to get the private patch in etrack 2252699 to disable SCSI 2 reservations when using internal disks in an VCS cluster.

Thanks,

Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

One more thing, Engineering is working on changing the 5.1 SP2 Release Notes on the Sort site to correct the error of listing etrack 1510627 as fixed.

-Wally

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Wally,

I was in touch with Symantec technical support regarding this case and their feedback is that we cannot use IDE disks at all in this scenario because these do not support SCSI reservations.

Which comment should I mark as solution?

WBR,

SW

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi SW,

Sorry, I overlooked the comment you posted about these being IDE disks.  I don't think we can work with IDE disks at all, even with the patch to bypass the SCSI reservations.  However, it is has been a long time since I've seen IDE disks in a server, you might want to contact us again and request that you try the patch.  It might work with IDE disks but I don't know off hand.

Thanks,

Wally