cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXresize runtime over 3 days

Manfred_Ratzke
Level 4
Hi,

I started a vxresize coomand last Friday night to shrink a volume from 800 to 700 GB,

with a df -k it is already down to 700

with vxtask list it shows no task running

only a ps -ef show a running process since Friday

how can I assume that the job is finished or not ??
3 REPLIES 3

ScottK
Level 5
Employee
We did some quick testing --
we confirmed that vxreize does does not automatically create a vxtask for tracking. You'd need to supply a -t task tag -- see
http://sfdoccentral.symantec.com/sf/5.0MP3/solaris/manpages/vxvm/man1m/vxresize.html

It also took some time -- an hour or two -- as VxFS had to move all data that is in the region to be shrunk into any free space in the region that will remain post-shrink. Three days seems long, but since we couldn't recreate your scenario, I can't give much more of a recommendation than to use the -t task next time.

In terms of confirming the current size of the file system and volume, the file system metadata and volume metadata will have that, but I would sugggest working with support to gather than information.

ScottK
Level 5
Employee
I posted too quickly...

Did you check the VxVM command log?

/etc/vx/log/cmdlog

In our test, we saw first the user command (which will fire off the vxfs command and not get logged). Once vxfs completes, the volume commands will be run:
Thu Jul 16 14:33:00 2009 /opt/VRTS/bin/vxresize -F vxfs -b -g testdg1 testvol1 600g
Thu Jul 16 16:05:44 2009 vxassist -f -g testdg1 shrinkto testvol1 1258291200
Thu Jul 16 16:05:57 2009 vxdisk -g testdg1 -o subdisk reclaim all

Scott

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Well this is really tricky to answer...

I would think to manually check filesystem size (fstyp -v <raw_dev>) & compare with the size from vxprint -htg <diskgroup> <volume>

If both calculates to same that too the reduced one & moreover no task seen, I would believe it completed...

Also checking the log option above is good idea as mentioned by Scott...

Gaurav