cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BERS 6.5 Freezing

Chris_Wallis
Level 3
BESR v6.5 - running on Server 2003 R2 with SP1

Every couple of weeks this seems to hang and not run the scheduled job.
The processes are running for the application but the console will not open.
I have to kill the process and restart the service. This was doing the same thing - but more frequently on Livestate branded version - 6.02.

anyone had the same issue

Cheers

Chris
29 REPLIES 29

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Me too ! Symantec says this will be fixed in Version 7.0. It's a known bug.

Simone_Mannini
Level 3
Yes it happend to me too.

I've currently two pilot installations.
One running on Win 2000 Server SP4 and it looks working ok.
The other one that hangs, is a Win 2003 Standard SP1

I'm a bit disappointed of a such evident bug.

Is there any workaroud that could solve the problem?
When version 7.0 is expected to be released ?

Simone

Chris_Wallis
Level 3
Cheers

Any idea of a release date?

Simone_Mannini
Level 3
Well, also a patch will be welcome.

Btw I've can tell you also that a service restart, will not work, will remain in stopping.
Had to kill the VproSVC.exe.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
I've filed this as a bug and Symantec said that this bug would be fixed in version 7.0. So i think they won't give us a patch for 6.5. Symantec said they would give us a "debug version" of LSR 6.5 where this bug has been fixed . Version 7.0 is currently in Beta 2, it shoud be released spring 2007 as far as i remember.

Ray_Arts
Level 4
Same here. Client freezes and no activity. An advice from a senior Symantec tech here is much appreciated.

Ray.

Chris_Wallis
Level 3
i end up killing off both processes and then restarting the service.

Yeah an interim patch would be good

Andre_Bourque
Level 2
I too have this problem. This product has been a huge disappointment to say the least. I need to check everyday to verify that my image was created sucessfully. Kind of throws out the idea of automation.

Ray_Arts
Level 4
Just wondering.
How did you file a bug to Symantec.

This forum is never answered by Symantec engineers. Most of the questions are not answered at all.Message was edited by:
Ray Arts

Simone_Mannini
Level 3
That is a good question.

I've tried to open a case on https://mysupport.symantec.com but with great surprise I've not been able to find the Backup Exec System Recovery among the list of supported products

I'm going to open a case via phone call about this problem.

Simone_Mannini
Level 3
Update

I've been in touch with european product support technicians but product experts were not available.

They just suggested me to install release 6.5.3 and check if problem was fixed.
(653 is not public)

I've no time do upgrade right now, will make some more tests in coming weeks.

reza_akhlaghy
Level 4
Hi

I've same problem with some of clients, but after upgrading to version
6.5.2 the problem decreased dramatically. Now I face it every 2-3 weeks

It's HIGHLY recommended to upgrade to ver 6.5.2

Paul_Lago
Not applicable
I have the same problems. I own 34 copies of this software and I'm disappointed at two things: 1.) significant crashing and conflicts with software (even other Symantec software) and 2.) Support. By far, Symantec has been my worst vendor. It took over 40days to get the license file for my software and it took an email to the VP of Investments to get it done. That is simply SAD. I will not be investing any more of my IT budget in new Symantec products. In my opinion this is good software with great potential. It is extremely buggy and if you're looking for a set-it and forget-it solution this is not it. Everyone of my servers needs to have the service rebooted at least twice a week in order to maintain the service up and running. Its impossible to get adequate support to have these issue resolved. Also, you can forget about versioning. If you download 6.5.2, the product info tells you 6.5.0. I have spent many many hours working with this product and although it has excellent potential it is too buggy and unreliable to be useful. If I hadn't bought it already I would look else where. Sad but true. Symantec, if you are reading this (which you probably dont) get your act together. Fix your support process and technology AND fix the major bugs in this software. It could be a gold mine for you if you can get it working properly. Going back to the freezing problem... it conflicts mainly with symantec software. Funny huh??? It is neccessary for me to stop everyone of my servers' Symantec AV services before I can restart the BESR. We run many many Symantec products and have even had conflict with the Symantec BackupExec 11 server agent on some systems as well.

I heard a comment about 6.5.3. Anyone have it? Can you post it somewhere? I'm a desperate customer and have already been waiting 2 hours for support. Another suggestion Symantec, we are paying customers so please make downloading and obtaining patches easier. I hate having to call in to get these. Thanks.

Ghost_Man
Level 2
Paul, regarding 6.5.3 I found this thread relating to downloading 6.5.3 but I don't know if the links are still valid:
http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=69440&tstart=0

here are the fixes 6.5.3 contains:

LOR
A GoBack error was getting thrown
during install of LOR
-Fixed-

Drivers
BESR not able to load the SRD on
Stratus FTServers
-New drivers supplied from Stratus were added to BESR-

Disk Enumeration
BESR agent locks when GPT
partitions are encountered
-Fixed-
BESR ignores GPT partitions. Recovery points
may be stored to a GPT partition destination, however
BESR cannot create a Recovery Point of a GPT partition

Scheduling
"Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards
the integrity of the program failed
unexpectedly. PRECONDITION failed,
TzSwitch::SetMonth:
\TimeZone.cpp(166): value >= 1&& value
< 12."
-Fixed-

Aimee_Barborka
Level 3
I know there is a hanging issue that Symantec is working on for BESR 7.0. You may want to sign up for the beta and see if the hanging issue goes away.

Simone_Mannini
Level 3
Paul,
6.5.3 was not available at the public last week.

Please keep in touch with Symantec and ask them the procedure to download it.

I've not tested it yet.

Jared_Griego
Not applicable
The update to Backup Exec System Recovery 6.5.3 is now available from Symantec. You need to call Symantec's support to get the username and password for the download.

Email from Symantec:

, please go to https://fileshare.symantec.com/. Login using the information below and click on the 'shared folder' tab. Put a check in the box, and click ?download? to start the transfer of the software to your computer. Please note that the speed of the download depends on various factors.

Once you have downloaded the .zip file, unzip it to find the ISO file. Use the latest version of most CD-R burning software (i.e. Ahead Nero, Roxio EZCD Creator, Stomp, etc.) to create a CD from this ISO file. The CD you create will be identical to the actual product CD.

LOGIN ID:

PASSWORD:

FILENAME: BESystemRecovery653AllWinEnglish.zip

Richard_Wright_
Level 4
Well, for me 6.5.3 is freezing just like 6.5.
What I have done so far at the recommendation from Symantec is:
1. Run the PartInNT utility in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Utility

And verify there are no errors identified for your drives. I have 1 Dell 2800 server where the RAID manager says all is fine, but the PartInNT shows errors. Symantec is claiming that is the problem.

2. Uninstall any Anti-Virus software and SBESR, then install only SBESR. I have Symantec AV and Symantec told me they are aware of issues with SBESR and their own AV... Wow...
I uninstalled them both, rebooted, and am still having the same problem on the server with the drive errors (as identified by PartInNT).

On other servers (I have 9 and I am having this problem on several, but intermittently) I have no PartInNT errors identified, but SBESR 6.5.3 still locks up unless I reboot. After the reboot the backups works. I have not jotted down how many times they work tho.

Symantec support says my issue is "being advanced to our Level 2 technical support team"

Simone_Mannini
Level 3
Richard thanks for your contribution.
I'm still having the same problems with 6.5.3.

I've decided to stop creating incrementals and decided to setup full images daily. This reduce the working times and thefore incidence of this bug.

I'm not running any AV on servers, and I'm running BESR on HP DL 380s and DL 360s. On all server I've Backup Exec 9.1 Agents installed and running.

Still waiting for a feedback from Symantec.