cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 creates rpam_store.dat file in destination drive

clay1
Level 4
Subject line says it all.  Wondering why my base and incremental images are creating rpam_store.dat files on my destintion disk.  BESR does not copy that file to the offsite location.  This did not occur with V8.5.

I've tried to delete the file, but its recreated on the next backup.  Seems that the file is created during the last few seconds of the job.  This occurs on XP Pro.

Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

criley
Employee Accredited
This is normal. BESR 2010 introduces a new technology which was not there in 8.5 (Recovery Point Access Method = RPAM).

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question ***

clay1
Level 4
Chris

Thanks for the reply.  Odd thing is that this issue occurs only on one XP SP3 desktop.  Another XP SP3 desktop running BESR 2010 stores the backup images without the RPAM_Store.dat file on the destination disk.  Both PC's are configured the same, both use the same destination disk and both BESR configs are almost identical.

Any idea why one does the .dat file and the other does not?

One thing I can tell you is the one that stores the .dat file was upgraded from BESR 8.5.5.  The other PC (no .dat file) was a clean install of BESR 2010.

Is this .dat file really supposed to be there?  I'm starting to wonder if the 8.5.5 upgrade didn't work properly.  maybe I need to completely remove and reinstall.  Thoughts?

clay1
Level 4
well, I uninstalled BESR 2010 from the upgraded V8.5 PC and told it to NOT save my backup jobs, etc for reinstall.  Rebooted then reinstalled BESR 2010.

I got the dreaded "no mapping between account names and security ID's was done" message during the fresh install.  Why, now more problems???  I found a bunch of posts about this issue on the Norton Ghost 15 forums and I followed the recommended solution which was to do a repair install under the Administrators account.  That seems to have worked better as it completed without error.

Anyway, re-ran my imaging jobs and again its storing the RPAM_Store.dat file.  I notice that at the end of the backup job it briefly writes a RPAM.lck file to the destination disk then that file disappears after about 2 seconds and leaves the RPAM_Store.dat file.

Something just doesn't seem right.  I cannot imaging this file is useful.  For one thing BESR does not copy it to the OFFSITE location when it runs the post backup OFFSITE copy.

Can I get some answers please?

criley
Employee Accredited
As I said, this IS normal behavior. I'm not sure I understand what your concern is regarding this file...?

clay1
Level 4
Why does one BESR 2010 install store the .dat file, but another install does not?  Both are WIN XP SP3....  Should I be worried about the second PC that does not store the .dat file?  Also, why doesn't BESR copy the .dat file to the offsite location if its so important?

I understand you say its normal, but I have a sneaky suspicion its a bug.

I'm really wondering if my images are useful or are they going to be garbage because of this file existing on one PC and not another.

Are your developers aware of the "no mapping between account names and security ID's was done" error message that displays during install??  Manny people on the Ghost 15 forum are complaining about this.  Not sure why I haven't seen BESR folks talking about it, but since they are very closely related products I would think its an issue with the way COM+ is being handled during the install routine.

clay1
Level 4
I'm really surprised no one else on this forum is seeing the RPAM_Store.dat file in their destination.  Please reply here if you also see this file.

stant0s
Level 2
Hi Clay1,

I'm seeing the exact same thing, and wondered exactly the same also.

The problem is, this is the least of my worries - I can't beleive this product passed beta testing - it's a shocking piece of software and I can't rely on this for my DR.

I wish I never wasted our money on it to be honest. I'm not normally one for moaning, or indeed feeling defeated but in this case I can't help but feel it. For every error I overcome/get a work around, there are another two.

For the record: 

Event notifications from the Manager when looking at the details of each server are erronous.
Next run times are in the past.
Servers state there are multiple schedules
Issue deleting old incrementals upon completion of new ones
Adding servers to a new backup job is painful (exclusion based)
Policies tab is messed up

The list goes on. It's a poor peice of software. Hugley buggy in a lot of areas.

clay1
Level 4
It seems you are worse off than me, and your message clearly shows BESR 2010 is still beta (at best).

I heard back from support on the RPAM_Store.dat files and upper level engineering told them that these files are "dummy" files and may not be utilized in future releases of 2010.  Its safe to ignore them.  Hmmmm.

Still waiting to hear back on my other issue where I often get a "no mapping between account names and security ID's was done" error on BESR 2010 install.  This is a COM+ error and based on my limited reesearch seem to be related to a bug Symantec has in their Installshield routine.

Regarding your problems, all I'll say is good thing I don't use the Manager.  I'd probably be requesting a refund and move on to something else (i.e Shadowprotect).  If I followed the advice of 2 IT people I respect, they both told me to walk away and use Shadowprotect.

jlodholz
Not applicable
I only see this when the destination is my SAN drive.  When backing up to an external USB 2.0 device I do not get these files created.