cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 7: cannot backup to network attached external disk - error E7D1000A

emax
Level 2
I am evaluating BE SR 7, desktop and server edition.
All results very positive except when I am trying to backup to a network attached external disk (PackardBell NetStore3500).

Network disk configured with IP address to make part of a domain or workgroup.
Network disk can be read and written in Windows explorer and by other applications.
A drive letter (Z:) is assigned  to UNC  \\devicename\share

When defining the backup destination on this network drive for any backup (Recovery Point or Files Backup), I get message
E7D1000A  "Parent  '//devicename/share' exists but is not a directory"

Backing up through network on another computer HDD works OK.

Problems occurs with BESR Server edition (7.0.0.20351) on Windows Server 2003 (SP2) in a domain environment or BESR Desktop edition (7.0.0.20351) on Windows XP (SP2) in a workgroup environment.

Any idea to solve this ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
17 REPLIES 17

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

Does the issue appear to be specific to the PackardBell device?  If you create a share somewhere else on the network and use that in the backup destination, does it work okay?

Thanks.

emax
Level 2
Hello, thanks for taking care.

Backup to a network share on another PC on same network runs okay.
Backup to same PackardBell device but locally USB connected runs okay.

Backup from NeroBackItUp to network-connected-PackardBell-drive runs okay.

But same error message when trying to run BE SR backup to network-connected-PackardBell-device.
Unfortunately, I have no other network external drive at hand to check if the problem could be related to the hard drive device hardware...

Any suggestion or interpretation of the message "E7D1000A: Parent '\\devicename\share' exists but is not a directory." is very welcome.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

It's hard to tell what the problem might be.  The fact that BESR is able to backup to a different network share successfully would indicate that BESR is having a problem with that device specifically, but doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with that device.

I would recommend you open a support ticket with Symantec.  They will be able to gather log and debug files and potentially diagnose what's happening.

Thanks.

Doby
Level 2
Hello,

I have the same problem. I would like to use Norton Ghost 14 to make full backup over the network, but it does not work. Norton works only by making the backup via USB.

I have an Iomega Home Network Drive 500MB. The drive works perfectly both over the Network and using USB. Currently I use EMC Retrospect to make the full backup over the network. Even with Windows Explorer I can use the drive through SMB as well as via FTP.

A related problem is that when I try to define a new backup in Norton, giving the network address and the proper user/pwd I get the following errors:

-\\192.168.0.250\Backup\Norton\ is a read-only location and is not a valid destination.
--Error E7D1001D: Unable to open '//192.168.0.250/backup/Norton/Destination_Location_Test_File'. Error EBAB03F1: The file exists. Error E7D10049: Device backup appears to be offline, disconnected, or otherwise unavailable.

Norton creates the Destination_Location_Test_File but then it fails. However, as I wrote, with Windows Explorer I can do everything, nothing is read-only and also the competitor EMC works well.

I already tried several things to let Norton to work. I have switched off the firewall as well.

Once I made the backup with Norton via USB, of course I see the Norton backup files in the Windows Explorer. But when I connect to the drive over the network and I drive to mount these Norton files I get the error message:

Error EC8B000B: File 'R:\Norton\..._C_Drive001.v2i' does not exist or is invalid.

With Norton, I am in the trial period. I still have 25 days left to solve this issue. I prefer the Norton products, this is why I would like to switch from EMC, but of course I would buy the Ghost only if it works properly.

Any help is welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Peter

BellringerCJ
Level 2

Hi,

This is EXACTLY the same errors that I am getting when trying to use Norton Ghost 12 to a network connected IOMEGA Home Network Drive 500Mb.

EVERTHING works fine through Windows Explorer etc BUT NOT via the network when using Ghost.

It is quite frustrating not to be able to solve this problem.

I have checked the Iomega site without success but then saw your comment which mates my problem.... so maybe we can find a solution for both os us here?

BTW I am using a Sony Viao Media Center PC with Windows Vista Home Premium o/s and a standard 100Mbps ethernet network.

Any help would be most appreciated...

Chris

marcow
Not applicable

Same problem here.

Norton Ghost 14 and a Conceptronic NAS CH3NET500 disk.

Anybody solved this problem yet?

Norton helpdesk couldn't help me.

Marco

big_al_21
Not applicable

I have the same problem with my IOEGA network drive, did you get a resolve for this? I get the read only message when trying to save the backup there.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Doby
Level 2
Yes, I did. The solution was to switch from Norton to Acronis TrueImage. It works well.

Brajendra_Singh
Not applicable
Employee Certified
Please Check the filesystem, and make sure it is NTFS. FAT32 has a limitation of 4Gigs as single filesize. So we'll have to either split the recovery points smaller than 4 gigs or Format the NAS to NTFS

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Is there anyone who is having this issue that is not resolved by changing the file system to ntfs?

BellringerCJ
Level 2

Makes no difference whatsoever... I obviously checked this out right at the start of the problem.

So we now know that Ghost 12 (and 14?) cannot handle network connected drives so perhaps a move to an alternative product (like Acronis?) will be the answer as it has been an exceptionally long time trying to get an answer from Symantec.

Regards

Chris

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you able to access the share in the application by using the unc path name?

How about ip address?

cydogg
Not applicable

I just hooked a new Seagate external hard drive and was getting a similar error when attempting use Ghost 14. I also wasn't able to save a Word Doc to the hard drive. The Vista error message was "you don't have permission to save to to this location . . . " I changed the Permisisons on the drive and everything now appears to be working.

Cy

Message Edited by cydogg on 12-27-2008 10:44 PM

rwalker-123
Not applicable
I also have thsi problem with my iOmega 500G NAS. I get several error messages......

-\\192.168.0.6\PUBLIC\Ghost Backup\ is a read-only location and is not a valid destination.
--Error E7D1001D: Unable to open '//192.168.0.6/public/Ghost Backup/Destination_Location_Test_File'. Error EBAB03F1: The file exists. Error E7D10049: Device public appears to be offline, disconnected, or otherwise unavailable.

Can you help?
RW

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Guys,

Why you are using Ghost for the image and not the Backup Exec SRD?
I used this disk many times and worked fine with removable drives or remote network paths without any issue.
The initial post was about System Recovery but you all now say about Ghost 12 and 14.

So, is the Backup Exec System Recovery Disk available?

Regards, 

marcogsp
Level 6
Nikos -- The newer versions of Ghost for home use are actually based on BESR, not the Ghost product that many of us IT folkshave come to know and use.  We can blame this confusion on Symantec's propensity to rename and rebrand on a regular basis.  A consultant I worked with recently became quite confused when i told him we were imaging our servers with Backup Exec System Recovery.  He thought I meant Backup Exec for Windows Servers.  Once I demonstrated the product, he came away with a better understanding.

Everone --I don't know if the "Ghost" versions of this product use the same name for the service, but in BESR, the Service name is BackupExecSystemRecovery.  If this service is starting with the Local Sytem account, it won't be able to access resources on your network.  You have to change the logon account for service startup to either a domain or workgroup account that has priveledges on the resource you want to connect to.  When you connect through Windows Explorer, you are using your own logon priveledges to access the resource.  The Local System account does not have network acess priveledges by design.

guitar_man70
Not applicable
I also have the IOMEGA 500G home network drive.  I'm trying to take a backup of my entire C drive and it won't work and now I know why.  To use the IOMEGA as a network drive it must be formatted as FAT32 or it will not work.  My C drive is way bigger than 4G so therefore ghost can't create a backup file big enough.  The error message is completely missleading and useless.  So unless you can get Ghost to create the backup file as many smaller files (which I can't see an option for anywhere) the product is useless to me.  Lucky I got an evaluation copy before I bought it........