cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear products with BESR 8.5

xbeard
Not applicable

Hi,

I have two issues I have not be able to resolve.

On my local XP Pro PC I have installed BESR 8.5

Version 8 had been running without a problem backing up to a WD MyBook SAN. I added a Netgear SC101 disk to the system and VproSVC.exe hangs on system startup taking up 90%+ of CPU. I uninstalled 8 and upgraded to 8.5 with the same results.

Is there anyway for these two products to co-exist? Can I hide a drive (the SC101 has it's own drivers which makes it appear to be local storage) from BESR? I am not trying to backup the SC101 drive but I was looking at backing up to it.

Secondly, at a client running BESR 8.5 and backing up to a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. Backups run fine until about 75% of the way (or so) through the verify. Then it slows down to the point that the verify never finishes.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
xXbeard

BESR will attempt to enumerate the drives Windows states that are present. If BESR is unable to determine drive device, it will typically hang the service. If possible, you may want to open a case on this issue with Symantec Technical support; you may be looking at a hardware incompatibility issue.

Check in the SMEdump file for the following error message:

Warning SME_DEVICE_UNSUPPORTED (A0BB006A)

If present, then the issue is indeed occurring at enumeration.

At this time, support is unaware of a method to exempt a drive from enumeration by the BESR service.

For the second issue, see if the performance registry changes: http://support.veritas.com/docs/307579 assist in this. Secondly, if verification is turn off does :

- Job finish successfully?
- In the recovery point browser does the images created without verification enabled open and verify successfully in the browser?
- Can then these image convert successfully to VMDK’s or VHD’s

DKW2000
Level 3
Partner
Was any progress made on this? I, too, want to use a NetGear SC101T 'NAS' to store images, but can't get past the "scanning disks" phase. Interestingly, BESR doesn't hang, it merely takes a VERY long time to respond. Being able to get BESR to 'ignore' the NAS drive letters would be the solution...

My details:
I have a Win XP SP3 PC connected to a D-Link GB switch. The SC101T (firmware 1.1.3 + SCM V3.06) is connected to the same D-Link switch. The SC101T works fine for 'casual' file read/write access - playing music/video from it, document R/W etc i.e. DHCP & setup are fine.

The problem is, I use BESR V8.53 to make images of the PC's local disks & want to store the images up on the SC101T. However, if I have ANY SCM-mapped drives, BESR is permanently in "scanning disks" mode & BESR more or less freezes. It's like it can 'see' there are some more (NAS) drives, but not access them.

Using the SC101T for image storage is the sole reason I bought it...

BESR can create 'hot' images of Windows - like Acronis or Shadowprotect - and store them on practically ANY storage that Windows recognises - USB drives, DVDRW, network drives - even the same drive that is being imaged! But not the SC101T...

I'm NOT trying to make images of the NAS drives, simply store the local disk images up there.

I'm quite technical (senior Windows/IT tech), but this is leaving me scratching my head...

Can anybody help?

teiva-boy
Level 6
 The SC 101 is a psuedo SAN device, and is more than likley NOT supported.

What types of storage that is supported are internal disk, NAS, and USB/Firewire.

The SC101 based off of a Zetera technology has drivers to wrap block level storage commands into a UDP packet.  For all intent and purpose, it's an iSCSI SAN.  And SAN's and BESR dont mix.